Author Topic: Ambitious MB project  (Read 15882 times)

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Ideally the tentacles would "curl" around food and pull it in into something akin to a stomach but for the moment I just want to get it to grow, move, and get the veggies in the first place.

By the way would a virus be ok if it was shot at a captured veggie. Just to delete all its dna wich might cause it to 'resist', mabey have it do something usefull as well (like move into the stomach on its own or reproduce, etc.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:45:44 PM by Houshalter »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:58:11 PM »
Preferedly not, unless you've tested it meticulously. Viruses can't be aimed, and once they hit you back they start doing unexpected stuff to you. Viruses tend to be used very rarely out side combat (where they ususally degenerate themselves along) or evosims (I remember somebody, perhaps EricL, got a sim going where bots would shoot a virus containing all their DNA after reproduction as a safeguard against mutations.)
Btw. I just found out I may be called into Wehrplicht in germany, despite living on the other side of the world (quite literally)   . Another mess for me to sort out...
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
Thats not good...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:02:00 PM by Houshalter »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »
Another delightful surprise from the blue. Should be all right tough as long as no-one invades during that time  
Say, is anybody else getting a big lag on this site? Everything else seems to work OK. ATM it's quicker to log out and in again than reload the main page  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:40:08 PM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
Um, how are they going to know what type of cell they are. Can it/Does it store the type of bot the original cell intended it to be in a epigenetic memory location. And if it does would that be transfered if the birth tie was broken the next cycle by the parent tieing to its kid. Im trying to code the tentacle but It needs to be compatible with the type of cell that spawned it so it knows when its a tentacle cell and then only does tentacle cell things. Im confused about the code you wrote to. Doesn't def work like "Def varname MemoryLocation" and if it does then why do you have:
'TYPE VARS
def head 0
def spine 1
def tail 2
none of those are free vars, are they? Sorry im just not good at figuring things out.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 02:35:02 AM »
you don't have to use them as memory vars; remember .X gives you the number of location X, so using the same method constants can be defined. They are simple convenient labels. The actual type is stored in the location .type.
- Carl Sagan

Offline DrGrimm

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 03:03:30 AM »
The MB project sounds very interesting

my scripting skills are too amateur and I feel unworthy to attempt this  in the presence of such great DB programmer people

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 03:14:28 AM »
Don't worry about it, somebody else will handle the hard stuff. For example, any genes that are an improvement on the current fill-in feeding gene would be great. The idea is to have scraps of code from everybody melded into one, regardless of skill level.
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
Quote from: bacillus
you don't have to use them as memory vars; remember .X gives you the number of location X, so using the same method constants can be defined. They are simple convenient labels. The actual type is stored in the location .type.
I never thought about using variables as constants before. Kind of an oxymoron. Anyway I figured out how to get past the schools internet blocker. No I didn't hack it or anything. Just use google cache and for some reason it still lets you read and post here. Im actually at home right now but I could post this from school if I wanted to.

EDIT: I just found out custom variables are case-sensitive. That really screwed up my bot at first because I like to use variables like 'AgeWhenTied' or 'LastBotNumber' to keep the words seperate but I just end up typing them like 'agewhentied' or 'lastbotnumber' cause its faster. Not a big deal, just didn't see anything about it in the wiki.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:01:34 PM by Houshalter »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
Odd, usually they are case-insensitive.Btw. I usually only use constants if you keep having to refer to them (eg. sustbody, if you want to keep the body level constant, it's usually faster to make a constant and tweak that instead of finding the number in the code.), or if a number has a special meaning (spine and head, for example.)
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 10:08:18 PM »
I almost have the tentacle ready to test. Its funny how the things you think are going to be the hardest turn out to be easy and the little things you didn't even consider become real complicated real quick  . Communications, coordination, etc. all turned out to be fairly easy, but getting the bots to reproduce in a straight line! Why would you even consider that!  

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
If you post the code, we can try fix and/or integrate it...
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »
I will when im finished with it. Right now its just a mess of random genes.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »
Just remember that communications still come from the main spine, so at least allow some flexibility for integration. Don't see why reproduction is a problem, I could handle that if neccessary. It sounds like you're making an independent bot ATM...
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Ambitious MB project
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 10:50:33 PM »
Pretty much ya. I can change it later fairly easy though. The idea was to just get it to work.