Author Topic: Release date  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Release date
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
I was looking through the forum, doesnt actually seem to be any good idea of the release date anywhere, any news on it?

Edit: I also had an idea, I dont know if it has been said before but there could be some sort of respiratory system.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:12:12 PM by Panda »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
Gauging on past progress prolly Christmas next year at the earliest for an initial release.  There are a few major problems left to work through still that are holding things up.  Realistically I think that estimate is too generous since the time I spend programming has been dramatically cut since I started my new(ish) job.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:05:08 PM »
So, x-mas 2011 at the soonest? If that's being generous, then what prediction would be a worst-case scenario?

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »
Somewhere between flying pigs and hell freezing over  
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
You mean... Abandonware?!?! (*gasp!)

Nums, what's the probability that you'll move on to other things before it's finished?

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:55:52 PM »
 Please refrain from taking me seriously in these matters...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:28:34 PM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:19:36 PM »
I just want to get an idea with nums to see if he can foresee any possibly insurmountable problems. Though I must admit predictions like these are pretty difficult.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:30:30 PM »
Ah. As you said yourself, such things are pretty difficult to predict, so a better question is how many projects has Nums got piling up that scream for attention?
- Carl Sagan

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 11:50:07 PM »
Poor nums, I hope you don't feel like we're harassing you to get DB3 done. We really appreciate your help, I'm going to try to help in my free time, got SVN and everything set up.

Thanks buddy! Really.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 02:24:59 AM »
Quote from: jknilinux
So, x-mas 2011 at the soonest? If that's being generous, then what prediction would be a worst-case scenario?

Xmas 2010 you mean   One year from now at the soonest.  Worst case, yeah, somewhere between pigs flying and Hell freezing over   If you want a 80% confidence time span, I'd say 4-5 years at the outside.  It's hard to say since I work in spurts and the amount of time I can spend doing Darwinbots work can vary significantly.  Looking over the past year and a half I've made significant progress, though.

You mean... Abandonware?!?! (*gasp!)

Nums, what's the probability that you'll move on to other things before it's finished?

Possible but not terribly likely.  I've done a few other projects since I started with Darwinbots, but I keep coming back for more abuse.  It's rewarding in a masochistic sort of way.

I just want to get an idea with nums to see if he can foresee any possibly insurmountable problems.

Nothing really insurmountable, but definitely some major things relating to physics still need to be ironed out.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
Release date
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 12:56:31 PM »
So december 2010 - "a long forever", I can wait that long.