Author Topic: Darwinbots 2.44.04 released  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Darwinbots 2.44.04 released
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:06:27 PM »
I've released a new version which fixes issues with folders being created incorrectly, and I found and fixed the problem that was causing -p files to be produced.

You can download it here.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:22 AM »
Yay! It works!  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »
Still more buggy than 2.43.1L though, right?

Also, thank you very much for continuing DB2 development. I hope to be able to add soon.

Which reminds me; now that I have some free time, how can I help with DB3? I know a bit of C#, but not a lot, so could you give me a simple piece of it to work on?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:25:56 PM »
Sure.  What sort of stuff do you prefer to work on?  Graphics, DNA, math, UI, multithreading?  You could also spend some time fixing some of the minor TODO tasks in the Azimuth (math) library.  Most of them are things like "make sure all code paths are tested".  So you could try to dig up a code coverage tool for C#, which I haven't had much luck at.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 02:42:43 PM »
Well, whatever would be best for someone who forgot everything about data structures from my class a year ago, and who just learned C#...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:43:35 PM »
Did you ever take a programming languages class?  Want to have a go at the DNA?  Writing that DNA module is how I learned C#.

Prsn did some work on DNA I didn't keep up with involving mutations.  You could sanity check those changes and make sure they're unit tested.  Then dive in to building codules.  It wouldn't be that hard, you'd just need to add a "call stack".  Make sure you unit test things aggressively.  Especially if there are any edge cases.  So for instance, with codules, you'd want to test that calling a codule that's already in the call stack fizzles (removes values from the stack but doesn't do anything).

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
I've taken three programming language classes, and was familiar with BASIC before them all... I now know BASIC, assembly, C, C++, java and C# . . .

So, if the DNA module is easy, I'll have a go at it! Just tell me what, exactly, I need to start off on first....

And how to use this SVN thing...

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »
Oh, also, would Microsoft Compute Cluster pack help at all?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
Quote from: jknilinux
I've taken three programming language classes, and was familiar with BASIC before them all... I now know BASIC, assembly, C, C++, java and C# . . .

I don't mean classes where you learn a language.  I mean classes about the theory behind language and compiler design, etc.  They're usually part of a Computer Science major at university.  I never took such a course, but if you have it would be useful here probably.

And how to use this SVN thing...

Check out the Darwinbots 3 page if you haven't already.  You can also go to the developer chat room (use your web browser.  It takes a second to load so be patient) and I'll try to help you through the process if you need it.

Quote from: jknilinux
Oh, also, would Microsoft Compute Cluster pack help at all?

I don't know anything about it, so I couldn't say.  If you want to take the time and learn about OpenCL and other ways to leverage various multicore platforms, like the compute cluster pack, that would be useful.  As it is I'm pretty stupid about the options available.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
  • Computer Science Undergraduate (nerd)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »
Would there be anywhere where I could learn some coding, I have a few books of my dad that I could read and I am trying to learn through trial and error but it isnt going too well.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »
If you're new to coding entirely I started with the "C for Dummies" series years ago.  Don't know if it's still in print.  Not to be confused with C++ for dummies, which isn't quite as good I hear.

Although anymore C might not be the best language to start on.  C#/Java would be good languages to start on.  Google search for C# express to find a free IDE (integrated development environment, what you use to program with) for C#, if that's where you want to start.

Forums are also useful.  Gamedev is the place I usually go to.  There's a beginner's forum that would be appropriate.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:47:27 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 05:41:47 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Although anymore C might not be the best language to start on.  C#/Java would be good languages to start on.  Google search for C# express to find a free IDE (integrated development environment, what you use to program with) for C#, if that's where you want to start.
I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 which you can develop C# in. Do you think I should use that?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
That should be fine, yes.  Although once the beta expires and you have to go to the express version you might be in for a bit of feature shock.

Offline Panda

• Global Moderator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Kk, I am waiting for the beta to to go so...

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »
Good Job with the bug fixes. I was starting to think that we forgot about our good old vb6 and started to only work on DB3. I have decided to scrap my ideas of adding my own DNA commands etc. and do that after I learn c# and add it to DB3...
However I am still messing with it in vb6 trying to get my firstbot to evolve (including CONDITIONS for SCRATCH) and beat quickdraw...
Feels like launching a rocket...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:01:55 AM by Botsareus »