Author Topic: DB 2.1  (Read 3513 times)

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB 2.1
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
Hey everyone,

The original DB 2 is much faster and easier to use on my computer. What exactly are the advantages of using the latest version? Can't you evolve things just as well in 2.1?

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
DB 2.1
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:25:06 AM »
As far as I know the newer versions just have more features and bug fixes.
I would say the biggest advantage of running sims in the newer versions is the inline conditions. It makes logic far more likely to evolve, where the bots evolved in older versions probably mainly relied on math I would immagine.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:26:15 AM by Moonfisher »

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB 2.1
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »
What's the first version with inline conditions? And the most stable one?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB 2.1
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »
If you go to the main site, under downloads, it suggests that you run 2.43.1L I think.  That's the stablest version.  If you're up for it you can also try running source code from the trunk of the latest.  It'll run really slowly, but when it crashes you can at least track down and fix (and submit) problems.

Actually, if you're starting a new sim I'd sync against the trunk and run that code anyway.  There's a bug I need to fix still from some code I checked in to DB2 over the weekend.  Once that's checked in you can run a compiled version and if you run across crashing errors I'll try to bandaid them.

There are at least two outstanding crashing bugs in trunk that I know about, but hopefully you won't hit them

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
DB 2.1
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »
well, the later versions are slower too (tens of cps as opposed to hundreds on the same HW), that's actually my main concern.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
DB 2.1
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:32:04 PM »
There was a lot of work to make Darwinbots faster and none of the features should have impacted the speed noticeably.  There is some constant overhead for stuff that will make it slower for few bots, but once you have hundreds of bots on screen the newer version should be significantly faster.