Author Topic: Anybody using IM now?  (Read 23714 times)

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« on: December 14, 2009, 05:02:01 PM »
Has anything of interest happened? Is anyone even running it now?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
I think Testlund is interested in running it again.  But there are some bugs I still need to fix to get it to be runnable.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:25:27 PM »
I tried to run it through the night between Sunday and Monday until I couldn't stand the noise from my computer. Tried to sleep with ear plugs but it didn't help. At 4 am I had enough and turned it off. Nobody was online.

So I won't be able to run sims much until I have a new computer. I think this one may break any day now so I'm trying not to have it running more than necessary.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:26:15 PM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »
Try underclocking it and removing the fan. Should increase life expectancy and take care of the noise problem.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:13:04 PM »
Quote from: jknilinux
Try underclocking it and removing the fan. Should increase life expectancy and take care of the noise problem.
Unless you know what you're doing. I'd think life expectancy of the CPU would decrease.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:53:55 PM »
Underclocking the CPU means it should last longer just because it doesn't get as hot and doesn't deal with as much power.  But I'm not sure if you can underclock modern CPUs to the point that passive cooling systems alone will suffice.

If you're computer savvy and don't mind some really weird looking stuff you could probably open up your computer and attach a truly monsterous passive heat sink to the CPU to keep it cool.  I imagine a heat sink the size of a football would probably keep your CPU cool enough.  Not sure if they make those anywhere though.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 06:10:26 PM »
Well, if you're gonna go through the trouble of buying new components, why not just get a new fan?

Or, my favorite idea: Drop it in an aquarium full of vegetable oil. People have done that, no problems occurred, even the fan should still work. It'll be silent, and the fan will still work. Plus, it would be very fitting to have DB running off of a computer embedded in slime...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
I was skeptical about the vegetable oil till I found this link.  Not sure what the long term affects are though.  Would be interested to know if anyone's tried this for several years.  And good luck ever trying to assemble your computer above oil again.  You could probably put several motherboards in the same tank if you had a server farm of old P3's or whatever.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:31:33 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »
Well, I tried jknilinux suggestion by underclocking my graphics card which is what my noisy side panel fan was cooling, with the ATI Tray Tool utility.

It didn't help one bit! Even lowering the speed of both core and mem to minimum didn't even lower the temp 0.1 degrees!

Still I tried to remove the side panel/fan just to see how much the temp would go up. The default was around 37 degrees celsius and it slowly went up to 68. It rises so slowly so I don't know if it will continue to rise above what the display can show eventually, which is above 79 degrees.

I've seen videos on Youtube about oil cooling. You need fans to keep circuling the oil and I bet it will be hard on the fans. It must be difficult to get effective flow over the hardware.

Water cooling with tubes must be much more effective.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »
Alright, I'm running in IM now if anyone is interested.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
Well, I tried jknilinux suggestion by underclocking my graphics card which is what my noisy side panel fan was cooling, with the ATI Tray Tool utility.

It didn't help one bit! Even lowering the speed of both core and mem to minimum didn't even lower the temp 0.1 degrees!

Unless your graphics card is being stressed by a game or benchmark or whatever it's running at something like 1% of it's maximum theoretical output.  It's smart enough to not draw extra power if it doesn't need it, so you won't see a difference when underclocking until you run a game or benchmark.  Underclocking is more for throttling how fast the card goes during high load situations.  Which Darwinbots doesn't really cause at all.  And normal desktop use doesn't cause either.

If your fan is really noisy it might be old or your drivers aren't set up to lower the fan RPMs when the system doesn't need the extra cooling.  You might google your system and see if others have complained about fan noise, see if there's a replacement fan if it's old (usually go for about $20-$30), or if there are "fan drivers" floating around somewhere.  On my Dell laptop, for instance, there was a utility I downloaded that let me hard set the fan speeds.  When they're on low you can't even hear them but when they're on high it's like a vacuum cleaner.

Still I tried to remove the side panel/fan just to see how much the temp would go up. The default was around 37 degrees celsius and it slowly went up to 68. It rises so slowly so I don't know if it will continue to rise above what the display can show eventually, which is above 79 degrees.

Yeah, you probably need a fan of some sort.  Is it the sort that attaches to the side panel itself?  Is it associated with the cpu or gpu specifically or is it just there to move air through the case in general?

I've seen videos on Youtube about oil cooling. You need fans to keep circuling the oil and I bet it will be hard on the fans. It must be difficult to get effective flow over the hardware.

Water cooling with tubes must be much more effective.

I'll be surprised if that ever becomes the norm, though.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 09:28:18 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Underclocking is more for throttling how fast the card goes during high load situations.  Which Darwinbots doesn't really cause at all.  And normal desktop use doesn't cause either.

I didn't think that far. I was actually doing the test while running a sim. Usually the temp goes up a few degrees when running DB but with minimum clock settings the temp stayed the same. With more intense graphic application the difference could be greater as you say. 37 is my idle mode temp.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 06:50:31 PM »
btw about IM... Which one is most populous? Is it quickdraw?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
For the longest time it was fruitfly and seasnake, but it was hard to tell which was which because both used viruses to reproduce, so you might have a colony of "sea snake" that were actually fruitfly viruses, and vice versa.

I didn't think any copies of them survived, but if Testlund saw some fruitfly recently I guess I stand corrected.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Anybody using IM now?
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 06:08:27 AM »
The fruitflies on IM where spread by the flyfruit alge, so there where no actual fruitflies on IM. But I think there was a substantial amount of infected seasnakes wich had mutated and no longer killed regular alge (Leeched on them instead and entered kill mode if someone attacked the alge).

This is one of the seasnakes I got in from one of EricL's sims (Think he had 3 running on IM)
Code: [Select]
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  1 Begins at position  1  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *111 431 !=
 start
 99 .sharenrg store
 .dnalen store
 300 .memloc store
 336 973 store
 *.body 5 >
 *.nrg 80 >
 dropbool
 *.maxvel .dn store
 50 .repro store
 *.totalmyspecies 1000 <
 *.nrg 200 >
 and
 60 mult not
 *.body 1 >
 and
 *.body 0 sub 10 drop 10 91 floor 312 *.robage !=
 0 *.numties 1 -3 >
 .tienum inc
 *.numties .up store
 >
 or
 and
 *.numties .deltie store
 dupbool
 *973 and
 =
 1 453 .tieloc store
 1000 .tieval store
 not
 and
 =
 2 *973 dupbool
 452 .tieloc store
 -1 .tieval store
 dropbool
 *973 2 >
 and
 8 .tieval store
 1 *.body =
 0 *.numties =
 and
 dupbool
 *.eye5 0 =
 *.memval *.dnalen dec
 =
 or
 and
 350 .aimright store
 *.eye5 0 *.dnalen !%=
 and
 *.refbody 20 >
 *.totalmyspecies 600 >
 or
 and
 *.refxpos *.refypos floor .setaim store
 .tie inc
 clearbool
 dec
 *.thisgene *.genes sgn add >=
 *.genes 777 *777 1 sub -1 mult sqr dup *777 .genes dec
 *.thisgene 1 sub *.thisgene 1 sub sgn mult *.thisgene 1 add *.thisgene 1 sub sgn 1 ceil dec
 stop
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  1 Ends at position  179  '''''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Begins at position  180  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 *104 431 2 !=
 start
 .eye5width store
 336 .eye3width store
 336 .tmemloc store
 *.body 80 >
 and
 *.maxvel store
 402 -133 1000 <
 *.nrg 200 >
 and
 ^ 60 *.body 10 mult sub .strbody inc
 not
 *.body 10 mult 10 sub 0 floor .fdbody store
 *.numties 0 div *.robage 1 >
 and
 *.tiepres .tienum store
 *.tmemval *.dnalen !=
 *.numties 8 >
 or
 and
 *.numties .deltie store
 *.tmemval *.dnalen !=
 452 .tieloc store
 -1 .tieval store
 *.numties 0 =
 and
 dupbool
 *.eye5 0 =
 *.memval dec
 *.dnalen =
 or
 and
 350 .aimright store
 dropbool
 *.memval *308 !=
 and
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  2 Ends at position  278  '''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  3 Begins at position  279  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 .setaim store
 .tie inc
 clearbool
 *.genes
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  3 Ends at position  285  '''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  4 Begins at position  286  '''''''''''''''''''''''
 cond
 .genes dec
 *.thisgene *.genes sgn add .mkvirus store
 *.genes 777 *777 1 sub overbool
 mult sqr dup store
 mult *777 store
 *.thisgene 1 sub sgn 1 *.thisgene *.shootval mult sqr *.thisgene add 7 1 sub clear add sgn -1 mult mult add .delgene store
 else
''''''''''''''''''''''''  Gene:  4 Ends at position  331  '''''''''''''''''''''''

After the flyfruit had spread to all the sims I no longer saw any of the original seasnakes pop in. And EricL locked his sims to prevent viruses infecing alge at some point, which is probably also why the infected bots evolved into leeching and defending the alge instead of eating everything in sight. But the high amount of bots also slowed down the sims a lot, so I don't think they ran that long. I was going for the 9000 bots on IM challenge, but I only saw seasnakes reach 7000 :'(
(Not sure if other bots on IM where infected aswell, I think I saw one called 000 which had been infected, but there weren't that many of them, and there where no mutations and only the dna from the fruitfly virus, so it could just as well have been someone running a test of some sorts, maybe making alge resistant to fruitflies or something).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:36:57 AM by Shasta »