Author Topic: Simple question about shots  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Darwin226

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Simple question about shots
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:29:12 AM »
I made a bot that feeds on plants and when it sees something that can shoot and isn't one of it's own, it fires a -1 shot with *.refnrg in shootval. It always kills instantly, so I was wondering, what kind of defense can a bot have against something like that if it doesn't even have a chance to react except for shell.

Any help would be nice.

EDIT: Just figured shell doesn't protect you from -1...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:14:56 PM by Darwin226 »

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
Shell doesn't stop -1 shots, only -6 shots. Poison stop -1 shots and is a lot cheaper than the cost of shots. Also poison will fire back a poison shot (Unless your damage exceeds the poison I think) with the ability to set a sysvar to 0 for a time (.shoot is a popular sysvar to use for poison)
Appart from that being small would cause the oponent to miss a lot, so a small oponent with lots of energy would probably cause the bot to spend all it's energy on missed shots.
Generaly moving oponents will be harder to hit, and if you want to be sure to hit your oponent before firing you need to get pretty close, which gives your oponent time to attack you first (Possibly with venom causing you to fire -2 shots, which would cause you to give energy instead of taking it, and for every time you hit you'll be firing even more energy at your oponent...)

So overall I wouldn't recommend spending that much energy on all shots. (You could maybe increase the nrg used to boost shots as you get closer and have better odds of hitting your oponent.)

Also damage is relative to your size, so using your oponents nrg as a reference may be overkill (Depending on your bots size).

Testing against alge probably won't give you a great picture of how your bot would work against stringer oponents.
I would recommend running it against the F3 league first, this way you'll face stronger oponents as you progress in the league. (You can download a league file and a rar file with all the bots in te league, just check the league section in the forum, and make sure you get the latest updated league files if you want all the newest league bots)

EDIT : LOL, Guess I didn't type fast enough
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:17:45 PM by Moonfisher »

Offline Darwin226

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »
Can you plz tell me if this works?

Code: [Select]
-1 .shoot store
 *.refbody 10 mult *.refnrg <
 -6 .shoot store

It's supposed to see if it will kill faster with body or -1 shots and do it. The bot shoots but I don't know, it might only use body. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:05:11 PM by Shasta »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
That should work, yeah.  The -6 will override the -1 if there's less energy in body than in nrg.

Note, though, that the relative damage of a -6 shot might not be directly comparable to the damage of a -1 shot.  I don't know if anyone's really experimented.