Author Topic: overflow error in 2.43.1L  (Read 3677 times)

Offline claframboise

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
overflow error in 2.43.1L
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:47:33 PM »
I see that not many people are visiting these boards anymore, but here goes...
I was running my first attempt at an evosim last night, and when I got up it said "overflow. saving sim in saves directory as error.sim", if I load error.sim, or any of the autosaves (I only set it to keep the last 10), I instantly get the same message. even if I click the ignore errors button.
oh and I was using version 2.43.1L, and here's a zipped copy of the error.sim file.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:33:21 AM by claframboise »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
Yeah, things are pretty dead at the moment.  If I get a chance I might try to figure out the issue, but the source for that version doesn't actually exist anywhere :/  So at best I might be able to figure out a work around.

Check out this version from Prsn.  Try loading your sim in it.  If it still breaks there at least it's in a version with source code and we might be able to do something about it.  If it loads successfully, try then saving it and loading in that new save in the old version.  No guarantees, but the versions are supposed to be forward and backward compatible.

Offline claframboise

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:14:13 PM »
Yay. I got a response .

I tried 2.44.1a, and now I get "Run-time error '6': Overflow", or it freezes... and it doesn't even bother making an error.sim anymore. :S...

I guess I'll just have to make a new sim using the last dozen or so best organisms, but I won't get to keep any of my really mutated plants

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 01:03:25 AM »
I'll try to run it in source code and catch the error that way.  But I just got a fresh computer and it doesn't have anything installed on it and real life is pretty crazy, too.  So if I forget in the next few days feel free to remind me.

Offline claframboise

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 02:32:33 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
I'll try to run it in source code and catch the error that way.  But I just got a fresh computer and it doesn't have anything installed on it and real life is pretty crazy, too.  So if I forget in the next few days feel free to remind me.

it's okay, I used the best organisms to restart, and I'm like 850 000 cycles into a new sim now without any problems so I don't think you need to worry about it. I now have plants that run away  lol. and guys that suddenly turn into a swarm of thirty or so little ones when they find food and swarm and destroy it. so I'm happy.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
Just so you know, I did manage to track down why it was crashing.  One of the bots was going really, really fast, and it was overflowing a sysvar.  Unfortunately, after fixing that problem another bot seems to be overflowing a floating point number, which is a harder problem to figure out.