Author Topic: IP renewal problem!  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:10:42 PM »
I seem to be having a unique problem, because I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. I've spent two evenings looking for answers to no avail. The problem I'm having is the following.

Every hour my computer tries to renew my IP which will cut the internet connection for a few seconds. If I'm downloading anything or try to watch a video clip for example on Youtube it will stop loading, and I have to restart from the beginning after my IP has been renewed.
I haven't find anywhere on my computer to change the time interval for the IP renewal, in other words the lease time. The only solution I've managed to find is to change it in the registry through regedit. I have entries there named 'Lease', 'LeaseObtainedTime' and 'LeaseTerminatesTime'. I tried to increase the number for Lease, click OK and then restart the computer, but the change didn't save.
So I'm wondering if anybody here has a clue and maybe how to make a change in the registry to stay put?  

By the way I have Win XP Professional SP2.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:13:56 PM by Testlund »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »
I assume you are directly connected to the internet with a modem?(not with a router or wireless)
I assume not a router/wireless becouse you have to reload youtube(direct internet)

Problem happens exactly at every hour?(exact same time differences)

To the point.

If you go to start,

Then type cmd in run(I think that is the word in english) :S

Then if you get a black screen, the dos-prompt.

Type
ipconfig/all

Last few lines are the lease-time as you got from your provider. If that is set just a hour further, I don't think it is a computer problem. Just the provider setting lease-times short and stopping having unused IP's.(what tends to cost money)
If it is set to more then an hour, then it would seen computer related, but I've got no clue what it is.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
It sounds to me like you are using DHCP to get all your connection info from the router. I'm not at home right now so I can't check my router, but I'm fairly certain you can change the IP lease time (Probably called DHCP Lease Time or some such) on your router. Up this to how ever long you want, I think I have it set to renew every day or two.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:06:13 PM by Shasta »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
Quote from: Peter
I assume you are directly connected to the internet with a modem?(not with a router or wireless)
I assume not a router/wireless becouse you have to reload youtube(direct internet)

Problem happens exactly at every hour?(exact same time differences)

Yes.

To the point.

If you go to start,

Then type cmd in run(I think that is the word in english) :S

Then if you get a black screen, the dos-prompt.

Type
ipconfig/all

Last few lines are the lease-time as you got from your provider. If that is set just a hour further, I don't think it is a computer problem. Just the provider setting lease-times short and stopping having unused IP's.(what tends to cost money)
If it is set to more then an hour, then it would seen computer related, but I've got no clue what it is.

Yes, it is set to renew exactly 1 hour after last renewal. I called my ISP service and asked about the problem but he said he had never heard about this problem and that the server is not supposed to renew every hour. Whatever the truth is it shouldn't cut the connection. It was not like this before.

Quote from: Shasta
It sounds to me like you are using DHCP to get all your connection info from the router. I'm not at home right now so I can't check my router, but I'm fairly certain you can change the IP lease time (Probably called DHCP Lease Time or some such) on your router. Up this to how ever long you want, I think I have it set to renew every day or two.

I'm not using a router, but I get my renewal through DHCP. I haven't managed to find a way how to change this whatsoever other then fiddling with the register, but I can't save my changes there for some reason. Maybe it's not enough just to click ok after you have changed a value.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:10:45 PM by Testlund »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
I haven't find anywhere on my computer to change the time interval for the IP renewal, in other words the lease time. The only solution I've managed to find is to change it in the registry through regedit. I have entries there named 'Lease', 'LeaseObtainedTime' and 'LeaseTerminatesTime'. I tried to increase the number for Lease, click OK and then restart the computer, but the change didn't save.
If you change lease, IP isn't refreshed the next hour?(you know changing the "lease works?)
I'm guesing you don't have another computer to test "this computer is the problem". :/

I still suspect lease is changed every time a new IP is asked(tested) and relies on the server. So resets it automatically if you start up the computer and you have no control about it.(more a info number then a input number)
Hereby I completely ignore the ISP-service that was called, but somehow I have a distrust about what the ones on the service-desk.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:06:40 PM »
Well, you CAN change the time for it in the registry, it's just that my changes don't get saved. The current value for 'Lease' is 3600 (3600 seconds is 1 hour). So it seems like an evidence to me that it's my computer that has been set to try to renew my IP every hour. It doesn't mean I get a new IP, because for that I have to turn off my computer for awhile. That is determined by my ISP's server.
So I want to know if there is any special procedure for changing things in the registry other than just click OK and close after you've made a change.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:25:59 AM »
Quote from: Testlund
So I want to know if there is any special procedure for changing things in the registry other than just click OK and close after you've made a change.
Sorry for not clarifying that one. There isn't a special procedure, it works with just pressing ok.

I think that specific register-key is reset at every computer restart, through.

As for refreshing IP, that you return the same IP as you had depends on the server. A simple IP-refresh could change IP's.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
IP renewal problem!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
I've found out it's actually the renewal procedure that resets the registry to 1 hour lease time. The number that I changed in the registry stayed put until I connected to the internet by plugging back the cable. Something has altered this procedure slightly in the last year to cause a disruption in the data transfer process while there is a renewal process at the same time.
I have no clue what because I haven't touched anything that I'm aware of that would have anything to do with this. Maybe a reinstall of the system or a driver update could fix this, but I'm not going to mess with that now when everything else is working. It's just a bit annoying, that's all.