Author Topic: How do I get ericL code?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
1.  Create a tag of the current code as 2.43
2.  Upload the latest source that Eric had to the trunk, and tag it as 2.44.1 (or whatever number it was).

Then decide if you want the code you're working on to be part of the "official" version, or if there were changes you made to it that are specific to your uses and probably shouldn't belong in the latest version.  If it's fine as "official", commit it to the trunk.  Otherwise create a new branch (named Botsareus or whatever else you want to call it) and commit it to that.

I think I figured out step1 , it basically creates a folder on my computer with the source code 2.43 in it transferred from the trunk.

But where and how do I get EricL's update to the source code?

btw: I am using Smart SVN...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:09:05 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
This is an eBook on SVN.  It is long and incredibly thorough, so I don't expect anyone to read the whole thing (if you did, you'd probably know more about it than I do ).  But you can browse through it to figure out the basics at least.  Flip through chapters 1,2, and 4.

That describes basic concepts, but it doesn't really go into the trunk-tag-branch structure.  Basically in the SVN repository itself, at the top level, you have a trunk folder, a tag folder, and a branch folder.  The trunk folder is the current state-of-the-art source code as people are working on it.  Tags represent a forks at a specific moment in time.  For instance, everytime the program is released with a new version number, you'd want to create a new tag.  Branches are experimental forks with changes that may or may not end up integrated into trunk at some point.  There a way to experiment without breaking anyone else's use of the code.

So the top level of the repository should look like:
Trunk
Tags
Branches

So what I want you to do basically is create tags and branches folders.  There's a command in Smart SVN to do this (look under tag/branches in the menu).  Then create a branch into the tags folder labeled "2.43" (or whatever version is in there right now if you can figure it out).  Then go back to trunk.

The download the latest source from the FTP, and copy that into your working copy.  Then commit that to the trunk.  Then take the new trunk and tag it as 2.44.1 (or whatever is the latest version).  Then go back to trunk.  Decide if all of your personal changes should committed to trunk.  If not, you can create a branch called Botsareus in the current Branches folder.  Then copy your personal changes to your working copy, and then commit it to the repository.  From there you can attempt a "merge" back into the trunk and decide what changes you made should go into trunk, and which should stay as part of your personal working copy.

I can probably figure out a temporary SVN repository if you want to practice this stuff.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
As of 2.43, the Visual Basic source code has been put under SVN control.
You mean I should create a new trunk with virsion 2.44.1. Because I don't want to overwrite the exsisting:

DarwinbotsVB - Revision 5: /
trunk/

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »
Not a new trunk.  Using SmartSVN, create a Tags and Branches folder.  You should be able to do this with the options under the tag/branch in the SmartSVN menu.  Once the folders are created, use SmartSVN to take the current trunk and create a tag with it.  Name this tag 2.43.

When you're done with these steps, nothing in trunk/ should have changed.

Please read the eBook chapters I linked if you haven't yet.  Otherwise this isn't going to make any sense and you might make a mess.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:42:49 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »
1.) So currently there are no branches in the "http://opensvn.csie.org/DarwinbotsVB" SVN, that is why I can't see any, correct?

2.) Can I skip over all this tag rubble and simply create a DB2.44.1 branch then copy my personal changes to my working copy, and then commit it to the DB2.44.1 branch ?

My personal changes will include:
Using the DB 2.44.1 source code instead of the FB 2.43 code. The robot/setting/simulation files created when you run "http://www.darwinbots.com/FTP/Darwin21.zip" etc.

Let me answer my own qustions:

2.) You want me to make backups of the code in case I screw something up. 1.) I feel confident enough to try it, but don't blame me if it does not work...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:09:30 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »
1) There aren't any branches at present, correct.

2) It's not just that I'm concerned you'll screw something up.  Tags aren't just a backup (though that's a useful aspect).  They remember where they split off of the main trunk.  So we can do things like fix bugs in 2.44.1 and also apply those bug fixes to the trunk and working branches, etc.  In theory anyway; I haven't played much with merging.

You started from the 2.44.1 source code for your personal changes, right?

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »
Personally, I don't care what version you call it, as long as it is improved beyond the bugginess of 2.44.1.
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?
Better answer before I do BOTH!

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »
You started from the 2.44.1 source code for your personal changes, right?

Yes

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »
Okay, let's break down the tasks into manageable chunks.  First we want to tag the current trunk as 2.43.  There should be an option in Smart SVN under tag/branch called "add tag".  It will have a screen asking you for the structure you want to use.  We want to use Trunk Tags Branches structure, which should be default except you'll want to capitalize it.  You might need to create the Tags and Branches folders since they don't exist.  SmartSVN should then ask you for a name for the tag.  Type in 2.43  And do copy from repository HEAD.

That should work.  Let me know if you have any issues.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 12:34:11 PM »
That is done.

By the way what is up with this:

The path "https://svn2.hosted-projects.com/Numsgil/DarwinbotsVB" is not the same as: "http://opensvn.csie.org/DarwinbotsVB/"
I was thinking my login info was messed up until I realised I am looking on a totally different URL...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:01:15 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »
Yeah, it's an older url.  Where'd you see it?  I'll go back and change it.

Okay, next step is to download 2.44.1 fresh, and copy it over your working copy.  Then commit that to the trunk.  Then make a tag of the trunk as 2.44.1

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »
Yeah, it's an older URL. Where did you see it? I'll go back and change it.

Mostly at: http://www.darwinbots.com/WikiManual/index...itle=VB_version

(Hopefully I will have time next week to mess with the SVN again.)

Offline Pascal666

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
Is there another way to download this than file by file(without installing annoying software)?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 10:42:00 AM by Pascal666 »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
How do I get ericL code?
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
Yep.  Check out this.