Author Topic: caterpillar simulation  (Read 10556 times)

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 01:55:52 PM »
well they all died again for unknown reasons, just reverted back to last save @ 1 mC, average generations = 200.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
Looks like your mutation rates are about spot on or a little low.  If they're still dying it's probably not from mutations.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »
Some of it's genes aren't all that good for evolution, like the retaliation one. Any sort of accident/mutant can cause them to start attacking each other. Most of the defensive genes could also be left out.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
Quote from: Endy
Some of it's genes aren't all that good for evolution, like the retaliation one. Any sort of accident/mutant can cause them to start attacking each other. Most of the defensive genes could also be left out.
There are no bad genes for an evolution sim. Just see what happens in the sim.

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
It's not really that they're bad, it's just it'll make it more likely to have one bot start a chain reaction. Each bot giving tit-for-tat until they inadvertently wipe themselves out.

Poison and venom are just kind of pointless in evo sims, since they don't impact their own species.

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 10:13:01 AM »
Quote from: Endy
It's not really that they're bad, it's just it'll make it more likely to have one bot start a chain reaction. Each bot giving tit-for-tat until they inadvertently wipe themselves out.

Poison and venom are just kind of pointless in evo sims, since they don't impact their own species.

If I may, I would like to correct you on some things.

First, a chain reaction would only occur if the mutation rates were really high, or you had really bad luck, but since the mutation rates are always pretty high, unless you want to risk an overflow error, luck has nothing to do with it, you simply can't prevent it, except by disabling point mutations.

Second, nothing is useless in an evo-sim.  Evolution has the inherent property that it will make use of anything and everything at its disposal.  Even weakness is often embraced by evolution in favor of a way to specialize.

But I do understand what you were thinking.  DB2 has a poor system for evolving things, so it is hard to understand where things go wrong.  Just remember, evolution never tries to destroy itself; that is why humans still exist
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?
Better answer before I do BOTH!

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
Interesting,  the keeping of conspec rec. is not normal in evo. sims. Especially after I looked back the dna of caterpillar, the conspec is a pretty specific check(comparing refkills with in6). Meaning with no cani-bots, there are 2 genes being unaffected.
Only reason I can find for that is the retaliation gene. Problem of that one is one mutated bot can start a chain and kill everything, like Endy said.
That random bot has a high change of being killed at once, due to the agressive retaliation gene. But if it survives long enough it can put up multiple bots "defending" against each other instead of the aggresor.

The stopping to retract, obvious comes from a broken tie moving gene, that isn't fixing or unfixing. I think that could be fixed(less affected by mutations) by having the multiple genes in a nifty formula in one gene instead of indepentant genes.

Tieing to everything, is a broken born and connect to original gene. Extra condition and it shouldn't happen. (unless the not always needed condition mutates out first)

Problem overall with hand-made bots. They didn't came out of a evolved bot, there are parts that can't handle mutations well, or in this case also an overreactive defence system that can't handle others mutating well.

Can you upload a sim-file, if you still got it? I'd like to see what happened.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
caterpillar simulation
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
sorry peter, I haven't been doing much DB at all lately, so I don't have it. But, I'd like to see the results other, more experienced users can do with the caterpillar. If I do get back into DB, it'll almost certainly be after at least 6 months. Good luck!