Author Topic: Any other Zerobot Sims?  (Read 19542 times)

Offline Prsn828

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Any other Zerobot Sims?
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
As far as I've seen in my own sims the most common command present in the genes of a reproducing bot is inc. According to the bot help file this command only increments a stored value in memory. Eventually that value will pass the reproduction value and the bot reproduces.
The reason why .repro is so rare and inc is so common as a reproduction method I think is because DB isn't totally random. It is somewhat seeded where you have a set pattern how the mutations will occur. There was a discussion here where we talked about making DB more random. I hope this can be implemented in DB3.

Actually, DB3 is almost definitely going to be more random.
Since I wrote the mutation code myself, I should know

In the mutation code I allowed for four input values that will determine how likely each kind of command/value is to be the result for the mutation.
In theory it should be one of the options in the mutation settings.

Also, I gave no preference at all to any one command over another, so .repro is just as likely as .setdx
So, what will it be? Will you submit to my will, or must I bend reality to suit my needs?
Better answer before I do BOTH!

Offline Endy

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Any other Zerobot Sims?
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 09:08:59 AM »
There is something weird I've noticed since EricL's changes. Point mutations tend to be in the lower ranges by default, ie. 1 becomes 2, or inc becomes 1. Unless you fiddle with the ranges it gives by default pretty poor quality mutations for just point.

Insertion works better, but requires reproduction before it can be used.

Repro - I think they tend to use dist/angle/rnd since they don't risk a mutation causing reproduction continually occur or not at all. It's also likely easier to store/inc a random range than evolve the exact value of 300.

Once they have, "semi-randomly reproduce" it's just a matter of juggling the numbers that determine the rate and energy to give offspring.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Any other Zerobot Sims?
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »
Quote from: Prsn828
Actually, DB3 is almost definitely going to be more random.
Since I wrote the mutation code myself, I should know

Kewl!  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.