Author Topic: OCX Problems with Windows 7  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Max42

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
OCX Problems with Windows 7
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:57:43 AM »
Hi all.

I have a  computer that I installed Windows 7 7068 x86 on and I am trying to get DB to function properly on it.

Every time I try to run DB I get something like "Run-time error 'blah': Component 'blah blah' or one of it's dependences not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"  

And every time I go and hunt on google for the missing OCX file and copy it to C:\Windows\System32\ and register it with RegSvr32.exe through cmd.exe, it complains that ANOTHER OCX file is missing too!!   I have installed around eight of these, and it getting frustrating. There could be hundreds of these files. Am I expected to search for, download, install, AND register each individual one manually?    Isn't there some sort of OCX pack that automatically installs all of these files? Or at least a ZIP file with all of these damn OCX files in it, so I don't have to search for every single one?? Please help me out here!  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »
Try something like this or this.  If nothing else just keep registering those OCX files

Windows 7 is the last OS Microsoft plans to support VB6 on.  So you should be a able to get it to work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:37:06 AM by Numsgil »

Offline Gambit

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »
I get the exact same thing on windows vista home premium 64 bit.  

I installed the visual basic runtime 6. still the same thing.

p.s. Hello again  I got a new computer so hopefully I dont have the freezing issues I had before with DB, it really is a cool program I just couldnt stand the stickyness. 8gbs of ram. 256mb graphics. 2.8ghz dual core processor.

nevermind to this whole post. all I had to do was run as admin  silly windows and its big brotherism.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:00:40 PM by Gambit »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
Well the good news is Numsgil is recoding the whole DB into visualstudio.net, so that will solve any problems until microsoft desides to come up with something that does away with .net... then we will just have to recode the whole thing again  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:58 PM »
That won't be for quite a while hopefully.  VB6 was abandoned because it was basically intolerable for programmers (by which I mean people who program in pretty much any other language) to get anything done that they wanted.  And it used the equally intolerable ActiveX.  .NET does a good job of offering the ease of use of VB6 with the low level programming ability programmers want.  When .NET is ditched, it'll be because of something far more radical than what gave rise to .NET in the first place.  Maybe quantum computing?

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:58:48 PM »
No ActiveX??? Then how the hell does XNA Game Studio work? Interesting, very, very interesting...

Wait a minute: I think I am confusing ActiveX with DirectX...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:50:50 PM by Botsareus »