Author Topic: Bots as sailboats  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Bots as sailboats
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:38:37 PM »
Just a fun little idea I had.  Wouldn't be the default, but might be fun to play with:

With bots as capsule shapes, you can think of them as boats with a bow and an aft, etc.  Which got me thinking about how exactly a bot is able to mover around.  I've always imagined it's with little retrorockets, or maybe cillia.  But maybe they use sails.  Maybe you can set a wind in the sim to blow in a certain direction, and the bots have to learn to maneuver with their rudder and sail to get around.  They could change the angle of their sail to best catch the wind and use their rudder to navigate and turn.

From a biological standpoints it's pretty silly of course.  But I bet the bots would be the first AI used to steer a wind powered vessel

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Bots as sailboats
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »
I was hoping that something similar would be implemented, using the ties instead of the bots themselves.

Anyways, what's new? I've had quite a lot of Internet trouble    followed by even more Windows trouble     followed by a bit of Linux trouble       and some forum troubles for good measure.   .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 09:03:38 PM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan