Author Topic: Here are some general qustions:  (Read 4416 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Here are some general qustions:
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:43:25 PM »
Hello people, it's been a while. I am living in sunny florida now. I have some qustions:

1.) The main page says:

Darwinbots is an Artificial Life simulator that merges the gameplay of C-Robots type arena combat with adaptive asexual population dynamics.

My qustion is: You guys still can't make robots that generate new robots by combination of two dnas?

2.) My second qustion: Which DB virsion is currently used  to run the formula1 league? I have finaly perfected a way to evolve my little dum straight line feeding robot...

3.) I need to know this to evolve my robot: How do the top robots in the league know when they incounter each other or the enemy?

Thanks for your help as always...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:48:14 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
Modern versions have sex, actually.  So asexual isn't entirely correct.  But the feature isn't as mature as regular asexual reproduction, (there are still some balancing issues to work out IMO).

I believe 2.43.1L is used to run leagues at present.

3.) I need to know this to evolve my robot: How do the top robots in the league know when they incounter each other or the enemy?

There are many different methods.  The most common ones involve myeye/refeye, memloc/memval, and in/out pairs.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »
1.) There is no help on the wiki on how to actualy use the in/out pair... HELP!!! I need db-code...

2.) Is there other ref commands then only refeye that remain constant troughout the robots life?

Thanks for your help...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:09:14 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »
There are some other refX/myX pairs, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.  Look through the wiki at the sysvars and see if there are any that look interesting.

When a bot is looking at another bot, the other bot's .out sysvars are copied to the looking bot's .in sysvars, so essentially they're like refvars except that you can specify what values they'll be.  In code:

*.robage 1 <=
100 .out1 store

' ... more code here...

*.in1 100 == ' will be true when it's a conspec
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:49:54 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
Numsgil I cant find "2.43". What I can find is "2.4.3" as in "http://www.darwinbots.com/FTP/DarwinBots2.4.3.zip". Is this the same?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:35:08 AM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »
No, that's older.

this is what you want.

Offline Botsareus

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »
Numsgil, I need the source code... But, Right now I can't download anything because my home wirless internet is broken...

So, hold on until they get it fixed or we get comcast... Then  I will be needing te source code for the newest db which is used in the F1 League  so:
I have finaly perfected a way to evolve my little dum straight line feeding robot...
can happen. Thanks, and I will write to you when they (or we) get the internet working...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:28:36 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
The source code for 2.43.1L doesn't exist.  You have to go back to an older version (1h) or go forward to a newer version where league runs are broken (2.44.1).  here's the source download.

Good luck

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 02:51:34 AM »
Any chance you know the revision nr for 2.43.1L, then I could just connect to the repository and roll back. (I using the source for 2.43.1h and I think it has the poison and venom bug... where you can't see how much you have)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:30:08 AM »
Eric never used the repository, so I think 2.43.0 is the version in there right now.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »
So theres no recent source without bugs I can use
I guess I should move the mod to 2.44.1 and work on fixing the issue with leagues and generaly adding bots... but all that GUI stuff is so booring... it's all about knowing the right command, and I'm having a hard time finding any good documentation for VB6. (Also the reason why the GUI in my mod is so messed up)

But I think I may take a short breake from working on the mod... I know the GUI is messed up, but it works well enough for me to use it without any problems, and I don't think anyone else is realy interested anyway
Had a few more ideas on how to realy open up the posibilities... but haven't realy decided on what to do yet.
So I think I'll just keep the mod as it is right now and run some sims with it instead.

Been running one for over 200 h now and it's starting to look pretty good. It should atleast stand a chance in F3 since it uses shell, but I'm hoping it can get good enough to enter the bottom of F2 (Although I doubt it). (It's probably more suited for the new upcomming league, since it's evolved in a large environment with liquids and few alge)
Thinking of a new setup for the next one, see if I can evolve a bot capable of entering F1

Ofcourse having coustom inputs and all that stuff makes it a lot easier and a lot faster to get places... but the final outcome is still an evolved bot, it just takes a lot of shortcuts
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:55:51 AM by Moonfisher »