Author Topic: Veggy Boddy won't grow  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Boogi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« on: December 18, 2008, 05:09:03 PM »
Hi,

I just discovered DB and I really like it (thought of programming something like that by myself...). I tried to do an evosim with algae minimais and animal minimalis. My problem is: the veggies gain energy, reproduce but they don't grow (.body is halfed each reproduction). Even when .nrg is at max nothing happens. After some time the veggies are too small to get nrg and then they die.

Is this intended? Do I have do "program" the growing manualy? I want to have just "normal" plants.

And, what kind of disadvantage do you give the plants as a balance for the free energy? No movement? No Vision?

Thanks
Boogi

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »
Hi.

Alga minimalis doesn't store any nrg into body, so to get a sustainable environment going you need to give veggies some body as well as nrg.  In the options panel (under genereal I believe), there's a slider between nrg and body that lets you adjust how veggies are fed.  Set it to like 90% nrg and 10% body as a good place to start, and tweak as wanted.

Veggies aren't given any disadvantage compared with regular bots, actually.  There's talk of making what it means to be a veggie more complicated than just the checkbox in the options panel, but nothing concrete in code yet.  Well, there are some population limits for veggies that you can set in the options, which means in a lot of sims being a veggy means you don't always get to reproduce when you want to.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:55:38 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
In the options panel (under genereal I believe), there's a slider between nrg and body that lets you adjust how veggies are fed.  Set it to like 90% nrg and 10% body as a good place to start, and tweak as wanted.
For the record: I think this option should be disabled. *.pleasure 10 div .strbody store does the trick. If a plant wants to grow it should have the dna to do so. No option needed

Offline Boogi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:43:39 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your replies. The veggies seem to work now.

Do I have to keep open the diagrams all the time to get a continous record? How can I save the diagrams, when I a sim in several runs?

btw.:
If I remove the last species in the new sim window I get an error:
Laufzeitfehler '380':
Ungültiger Eigenschaftswert

Runtime error '380':
invalid attribute value

Boogi

Offline d-EVO

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »
Quote from: Boogi
Do I have to keep open the diagrams all the time to get a continous record? How can I save the diagrams, when I a sim in several runs?

I am not sure what you mean by diagrams.
If you mean graphs the you just need to initiate a graph you want and it will record that specific atribute of the sim whether the graph is open or not.
If you mean the actual veiw if the sim, you can minimize it and it will keep running.
If I didnt anser your question, just test and anser it yourself.

btw.:
Laufzeitfehler '380':

Runtime error '380':
invalid attribute value

Boogi

weird, wat version are you using, does it happen all the time.
If you cant fix it, post your quiery or search for a related queiry in the bugs and fixes section of the form
1:      2 is true
2:      1 is false

Offline Boogi

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
I meant the graphs...
so the trick is to initiate a graph once, good to know.
But: can I save the curves in the graphs? Because when I stop a sim and reload it, the graphs start from scratch.

Boogi

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
Quote from: d-EVO

I am not sure what you mean by diagrams.
If you mean graphs the you just need to initiate a graph you want and it will record that specific atribute of the sim whether the graph is open or not.
If you mean the actual veiw if the sim, you can minimize it and it will keep running.
If I didnt anser your question, just test and anser it yourself.

btw.:
Laufzeitfehler '380':

Runtime error '380':
invalid attribute value

Boogi

weird, wat version are you using, does it happen all the time.
If you cant fix it, post your quiery or search for a related queiry in the bugs and fixes section of the form

that happens to me in 2.44.1. every time.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Veggy Boddy won't grow
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:49:56 AM »
I meant the graphs...
so the trick is to initiate a graph once, good to know.
But: can I save the curves in the graphs? Because when I stop a sim and reload it, the graphs start from scratch.

Boogi

Not at present, you have to restart graphs everytime you restart the program.