Author Topic: Darwinbots3 Installer  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:27:40 AM »
Announcing the first DB3 installer!  clicky.

It doesn't have anything in it actually.  It just sets up a place on disk and some registry keys.  This is my first experience with an installer, so I'd appreciate people trying it out to check for any weirdness.  I'm going to start work on an installer for the source code now.  It'll probably work out that the source code installer reads the registry keys set up by this installer to find the proper place to install itself.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 01:21:59 PM »
Installs uninstaller and link to website. Nothing weird. uninstaller fails to uninstall shortcuts.
Q: smartsvn (I just used it for the first time) grabs the complete directory of the source code. How is this different from the installer?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 01:31:23 PM by ikke »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »
Hmm, the uninstaller removes everything when I test it on both my desktop and laptop.  What OS are you running?  Is it just the start menu shortcuts, or is there anything left at program files\Darwinbots3?  If you go to control panel->Add remove programs is there an entry for Darwinbots3?

Right now you can just grab the SVN whole and put it on disk, but eventually there are going to be tags and branches that we won't most people to sync to.  Plus not everyone will want to have to use SVN to get the source.  An installer is always nice.  Plus, even if you don't run the source installer you'll have to have run the DB3 installer so the registry keys exist.

Offline Shasta

• Administrator
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »
On the select components to install the description is shifted up one for all of them.

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »
Vista and no components left according to the control panel

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
Quote from: Shasta
On the select components to install the description is shifted up one for all of them.

Ah, thanks, it's fixed now.

Quote from: ikke
Vista and no components left according to the control panel

Hmm, maybe it's a vista specific bug.  I don't have Vista to double check against.  It's just the start menu entry that didn't get deleted, right?

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 07:18:43 AM »
Quote from: Numsgil
It's just the start menu entry that didn't get deleted, right?
Yes, I'dd say dont waste too much time on it. Let it go for now

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »
ehm visual studio can create msi files to install something, doesnt require advanced installers, an msi is allready that..
More is not required, as you can alway de-install (trough ad en remove programs) any msi file.
And also if I remember well upgrades can go as an mst file
If the problem is that you want to put in extra files (like sample bots) just drag them in your project, like you would do with images.

heh and you can assign even msi files trough AD policies forcing the company you work for to use Darwinbots

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Darwinbots3 Installer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:20 PM »
Oh, how do you do that?  I didn't know Visual Studio let you create installers.

Still, I'm fairly happy using NSIS.  The hard part was just figuring out how to do what I wanted to do, and I figured that out