General > Biology

k-selected DB species

(1/2) > >>

jknilinux:
I was just wondering- why are all DB species we've ever evolved r-selected, as in being similar to insects?
Why do we never evolve an elephant-like species that is few in number, lives a very long time, has few offspring, and cares for them?

See this: r/K selection theory

Or, has anyone evolved a K-selected species? If so, I'd love to see it.

If not, maybe this points to a problem in DB?

Maybe we should make it a bot challenge, replacing the conditional-evolution challenge? That challenge is really old (years?), there's a winner, so it's over, right?

Numsgil:
There's nothing to teach the offspring, that's the issue.  Most bots are hardwired with any behavior or constants, so they don't need their parents to teach them.

jknilinux:
Hmm. That's definitely a possibility. Maybe there should be a way to change certain bits of code from the offspring automatically, like setting all offspring's ANN weights to 0 at birth. That way, they'll need to learn from their parents.

ikke:

--- Quote from: jknilinux ---Or, has anyone evolved a K-selected species? If so, I'd love to see it.
--- End quote ---
Been there, done that. I increased zerobot ''efficiency'' from costx .5 to costx 1.5 in .7 M cycles. How? r/k selection: with dynamic cost toe focus is more on r selection, so don't use it. I started wit a strain of my zerobot @0.5 Population remained stationary @ 1400 bots. I increased costx a little. Population would fall a little, and species diversity  some more: K selection (btw: I need a graph of species diversity/population).

jknilinux:
So, you mean your zerobots would, on average, live a very long time, have lots of nrg, few young, and actually cared for them? I'd love to see a sim!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version