Author Topic: Wikipedia page in danger  (Read 3516 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Wikipedia page in danger
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:44:12 PM »
I was looking for something completely different on wikipedia, when I stumbled on the page dedicated to Darwinbots. Turns out, as of yesterday it is scheduled to be deleted in four days due to
No references to reliable sources; very few Google hits (3,100 after omitting Wikipedia and Blogspot) to support the significance of this software.

Now, if anyone has any experience in dealing with wikipedia people, maybe they should try to stop that. If no one else volunteers, then I'll give it a try over weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinbots
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Wikipedia page in danger
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:43:06 PM »
There isn't a need to worry.  The article from the science advisory board website + my interview establish notability.  Notability isn't temporary, so since it won that deletion concern it is immune forever in to the future.  Anyone can propose an article for deletion, but assuming wiki goes by the rules it will never be deleted because of the previously failed deletion nomination.  The problem here is that Marasmusine has taken Darwinbots as his personal project.  He's the one who nominated the page for deletion a few months ago.  He's taken to blasting most of the ALife pages.  He removed all my unsourced statements from the page, which made it appear too short, which got someone else to propose it for deletion, because that's how things work on wiki.  The problem is the lack of sourcing.

What it needs is for someone to go over the article and source things.  Find things from our wiki or our forum, and add it either as a proper reference or just add the urls in the references section.  It's entirely valid to add pages to our wiki just to use them as references.  I'd do it but I've been really busy of late.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Wikipedia page in danger
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 07:30:43 AM »
I think the wiki could generaly use a big overhaul. Once people find the forum they only use very few pages form the wiki it seems.
I'll try to do my part when I have time... (So not very often, but on occasion )