Author Topic: BBC documentary the return of the jellyfish..  (Read 4274 times)

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
BBC documentary the return of the jellyfish..
« on: November 13, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
Just saw a documentairy on the BBC2 TV, I droped in late so I'm not sure of its title.
Some intresting notes, as those creatures can remind also to simple looking life forms reminding me of darwin bots..

* It seams that around the world jellyfish populations strongly grow.
   The trigger of it why (global warming?/ chemical level changes in sea water? / ...) isnt known.

* They where in the serie afraid that it might gonna be a too blooming population.
  Which could easily outnumber and kill other sea animals

* As it was fasinating, they are simple dough verry advanced 'products' of 1 miljard year of evolution.
  They lack a brain, but can have 8 eyes (or more) who can focus..      [ darwin bot uses 9 eyes ]

* Their poison can be so strong, some 1 inch jellyfish can kill easily a human.
  Those used to live in tropical water, but are now sometimes at the coast of England too.

* One huge type is swarming at an asian see, so bad that local fisherman catch almost no fish.
  They tried to use razor nets to kill them.. but gues what.. For this jellyfish dead ment release all your sperm/eggs.
   So the nets actualy spurted growth by getting them all together, for a reproduction act..

* Even more intresting is their life cycle (altough I knew that allready), they start life like a veggy plant.
  layer upon layer upon layers, they grow up, cloning themselves. Until suddenly they seperate in individual jellyfish.

* Did you knew that the "portugese man o' war" jelly fish forms groups in wich individuals specialize as organs for the group? [could we simulate that?]

* some have life span that can be endless, they can become plants again in the end and start all over.  [ darwin bots can live forever too ]

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:28:10 PM »
I read somewhere that man o' wars aren't really jellyfish, but a colony of specialized polyps.
 I think it would be interesting to see some sort of interaction between poison and nrg-sharing, eg. .sharenrg will redistribute poison if the other cell was poisoned (not poison made by the cell itself), and a bit of poison is sucked out as well when -1 is put into tieloc.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:42:20 AM »
Quote from: bacillus
I read somewhere that man o' wars aren't really jellyfish, but a colony of specialized polyps.
 I think it would be interesting to see some sort of interaction between poison and nrg-sharing, eg. .sharenrg will redistribute poison if the other cell was poisoned (not poison made by the cell itself), and a bit of poison is sucked out as well when -1 is put into tieloc.

Well all jelly fish start their life as a polyp see:

Sounds intresting dough I not realy understand, could you clearify..
The idea of a creature with poison tentacles, would be nice
Maybe (not sure if it is possible) insert a venom that is both poison and makes the other creature shoots its energy ?.

Dough it shouldnt be too powerfull I think (someway a bit balanced)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:41:57 PM »
What I meant is that when lots of poison is pumped into one cell, it should be moved around with the nrg 'flow' instead of staying in one cell.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »
Quote from: peterb
Quote from: bacillus

Well all jelly fish start their life as a polyp see..

If you were asking about man'o'wars, bacillus is right; they are a colony of polyps.

Anyway, this made me think of something- we should make the viscosity in pond mode gradually increase as you go down, just like real life (there's more crud at the bottom of the lake). Similarly, gravity should be immense at the top (air) and suddenly decrease to moon-level (water) in the top 1/4 of the sim, and gradually decrease into nothing at the bottom (silt).