Author Topic: MB rant  (Read 3065 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
MB rant
« on: November 11, 2008, 02:52:01 AM »
Darn, the topic got wiped.
Anyway, I can't be bothered writing everything out again, so I'll shortly summarize:
-Split DB into two different programs. one will be focused on the league as it is, the other on diversity and complexity. This version will include MB-biased features, such as:
Stronger ties, both physically and functionally. Eg. allow for ties that support more tension, communication in bulk, changing tie values, and in0cycle tie switching.
A larger degree of specialization, eg. muscle ties that can stretch and contract ties more efficiently than others, or variable eyesights.

Regarding the current MB league, the environment should be upscaled, eg. multi veggies (I think Fractal should be the base for this veggie) and huge field size.

Doesn't sound as convincing and is going over a whole lot of old stuff, but I'll write out the entire thing when I have time.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
MB rant
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »
Alright.
Splitting DB-The main issue with DB at the moment is that it has to balance two aspects: league aspect and evolution aspect. most evolution aspect can be exploited in leagues, while making a fair league system gets in the way of evolution. The best way to balance these would be to completely seperate them. This might not even require two programs but a sort of "league mode" that switches off certain features.

MB league changes- multibots have much more cells to manage; while this means they can find food over larger distances, they also require more food. A multibot plant that can supply large amounts of food would therefore be vital.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
MB rant
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »
Quote from: bacillus
Alright.
Splitting DB-The main issue with DB at the moment is that it has to balance two aspects: league aspect and evolution aspect. most evolution aspect can be exploited in leagues, while making a fair league system gets in the way of evolution. The best way to balance these would be to completely seperate them. This might not even require two programs but a sort of "league mode" that switches off certain features.

MB league changes- multibots have much more cells to manage; while this means they can find food over larger distances, they also require more food. A multibot plant that can supply large amounts of food would therefore be vital.

I think perhaps some kind of XML setting file (or simply an ini file) with in it rules and regulations environment settings and field sizes would be nice.
Over time as evobots evolve, it will become intresting I gues to see new leagus forming making use of new techniques, DNA tricks.

Maybe also by use othe file some thing can be denied like tie feeding (while energy feeding shots are alowed)
Also perhaps rules on how to win a battle (I've not done battles yet) but is the winner the one with 50 small bots in the end, or is it the one with the one big bertha? // or what if team A had 1000+ minibots spreading like rabits, while another has verrry smart fighting bot that is better but doesnt populate that well

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
MB rant
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:38:52 PM »
Not a bad point. Enforcing league rules instead of simply restricting them would make some of these issues much easier.
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
MB rant
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
The program doesn't need to be split, most of what you want isn't there because it hasn't been implemented, not really for backwards compatibility reasons or anything like that.  Except tie strength.  The way ties work regarding physics right now is a technical limitation, not a design choice.  It can be made to work better, it's just a bottomless pit of mind blowing complexity.