Author Topic: Building Bots  (Read 5853 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Building Bots
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:41:47 PM »
Just something that seemed like a cool idea that wouldn't go out of my head. Say a simulation had two species of algae; one is something like A. minimalis, the other one is a 'building block'. This means it produces vast amounts of poison and shell to make it hard to feed off. When a bot ties to it, it starts producing vast amounts of slime as well, to stop any future ties. The two would use an I/O channel or some other method of communication to differentiate from each other.

The challenge is to create a bot that, without trying to feed off the building blocks, uses them to create a nest or defensive structure. For example, you could place them in a circle around a fixed point to creature a fortress, with other bots inside the fort harvesting the normal algae and other bots pushing on the opposing structures to try destroy them. To make it interesting, ties cannot be used to share resources or information (strictly physical bond), no viruses, .sexrepro or venom is allowed (eg. no messing with the algae), and no poison or shell (this forces you to use the algae as protection). Summary: F3 plus physical ties.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline happyhamsterchan

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Building Bots
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:52:26 PM »
so kinda like the building block algae are, like, sand and stuff, amirite? to build **** out of? Sounds ****ing cool
I AM THE...

AWESOME...

FUN...

TURTLE!!!!!

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Building Bots
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »
It would also give people a chance to try out how difficult it would be to build stuff is such structures were to be implemented in DB3.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Houshalter

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Building Bots
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
Sounds cool, and complicated. I had an idea to create an ant bot that nudged walls around to make forts, but its just so complex.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Building Bots
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:52:19 PM »
I suggest placing the algae in a circle around the hive using the dist command. One thing you could do is keep sentry bots in the holes between algae, so there's sections in the wall that are weaker, but can help kill invaders that are damaging the wall.

Oh, which reminds me, I should probably mention that you can attack the buliding blocks with conventional -1 and -6 shots to destroy the 'walls', or simply steal their algae to build on your own.
- Carl Sagan

Offline Ammeh

• Queen of the Internets
  • Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Building Bots
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:49:52 PM »
Not sure if this really counts...but w/e (is veg)

Code: [Select]
cond
start
.fixpos inc
1 53 store
*.thisgene .delgene store
stop

cond
1 *53 !=
*971 *972 dist 1000 >=
start
.fixpos inc
stop

cond
1 *53 !=
*971 *972 dist 1000 <
start
100 .veldn store
0 .fixpos store
stop

cond
1 *53 !=
*.nrg 1000 >
*.fixpos 0 !=
start
100 .strbody store
100 .strpoison store
100 .mkslime store
100 .mkshell store
stop

cond
*53 1 =
*.nrg 1000 >
start
*.xpos 971 store
*.ypos 972 store
314 rnd .aimdx store
10 .repro store
stop

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Building Bots
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:57:56 AM »
I was thinking of restricting it so exactly X building blocks are available, so a destroyed block is immediately replaced. This would mean the building block only has one gene:

cond
 *.nrg 2000 >
start
 100 .mkshell store
 100 .mkpoinson store
 .shoot .ploc store
stop
- Carl Sagan