Author Topic: The body  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Darwin226

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
The body
« on: November 01, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »
Ok. I have several body related questions.

1. How is the actual body value calculated?
-Is it like energy?
If I have 1000 energy and get one more it's 1001, if I have 3000 energy and get one more I have 3001.
-Or is it more like eye?
Eye is 0, the bot get's a little closer and eye is 1. Eye is 50, the bot gets a little closer and eye is suddenly 3000 or something.
-See what I mean? Eye increases exponentially (I think)

2. What is the optimal body size?
-I want a bot that can hunt. That means I need a balance between movement and shooting.

3. What do you think is the best solution for eating swarms?
-I've seen a lot of bots that reproduce until they are really, really, really small (body 5 or less).
So now there's like 100 of them, everyone of them has 100 energy. 100*100=10000.
-I want to eat them but my bot has a lot of trouble hitting them.
I know I could think of something to eat them but how can my bot tell there is a whole lot of them?
He only has 9 eyes, which means he can see a total of 9 bots and there's at least 9 bots when he hits a group of veggies.
How can he tell if they are hostile or leafy?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
Body wiki
wiki eye
(50 is often the value when you are almost on the other bot)

Searching wiki does bring a lot of handy anwsers(hint)(hint)

An optimal body size depends on what you want to do. A body size of 1000 is a pretty save area for fighter-bots.

Yes, I hate those little bots too. Just keep shooting at them. And try to use some slime those little things often want to tie to you. And for little things they can still kill you fast.

The most used maner to see if a bot is a veggie or not is using the condition. There are more ways through. I don't know how you can identify multiple bots by eye. Can you even do that?

cond
''*.refeye 0 =''
start
action for the veggie
stop

cond
''*.refeye 0 =''
start
action for a non-veggie
stop
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Darwin226

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »
1. That still didn't answer my question. Already read that

2. Ok. I'm using 300 right now. It's pretty effective but shoot's a little to short.

3. You can do that by changing the focuseye but I think it requires like 9 genes or something and that's just a little too much...

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »
Sorry I didn't knew you alread read it.

I really don't know your stragegy, so giving advise is hard. You can best try and error. You learn and get the best bots from that.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 01:51:37 AM »
Quote from: Peter
cond
''*.refeye 0 =''
start
action for the veggie
stop

cond
''*.refeye 0 =''
start
action for a non-veggie
stop
I think what you want is:
Code: [Select]
cond
*.refeye 0 =
start
action for the veggie
stop

cond
*.refeye 0 !=
start
action for a non-veggie
stop
To be extremely sure, it may be a good idea to include *.reftie 0 = and *.reftie 0 !=, respectively, into the conditions.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 05:08:10 AM »
Quote from: bacillus
I think what you want is:
Ah, a little too fast.

To be extremely sure, it may be a good idea to include *.reftie 0 = and *.reftie 0 !=, respectively, into the conditions.
That is surely a good idea for 'normal' veggies. You can even use most of the ref vars to do a veggie-check. So there're plenty of options. But they will see evolved alga_mini a lot faster as non-veggie.

Offline Darwin226

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 06:19:06 AM »
You have been very helpful.

I have one more unrelated question.

Are values stored I order I write them or is there some other order?
Like if I write:
-1 .shoot store
8 .shootval store

Is it the same thing as
8 .shootval store
-1 .shoot store

?

Because in the wiki it says that moving commands always get executed before shooting commands and so on...

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 08:53:27 AM »
All comands are executed when the code has been run all the way through, so the order doesn't matter.
But for instance:
-1 .shoot store
-6 .shoot store
will shoot a -6 shot, while
-6 .shoot store
-1 .shoot store
will fire a -1 shot...

Offline Darwin226

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 02:37:01 PM »
As I myself hate spam, I'm putting yet another question in this thread.

And this one is really weird...

So ok. I saw a lot of posts about etch so I decided to find it and see if my bot can beat it. Well I found it (I think)
And when I run the simulation, everything goes well for a few seconds and then all of the sudden, all of the Etch
disappear.

Just like that, one by one the disappear.

What the heck?

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 03:03:42 PM »
No, that shouldn't happen. Maybe you have some strange costs or anything.

Please post a sim, otherwise we can't help you out.

Offline Darwin226

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
I think I figured it out...

It's the bot... It reproduces so fast that if it has no veggies it dies.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »
Etch was buildt for the old version of DB, the one you run when you're not using a buddy drop...
But EtchII is buildt for newer versions of DB and is realy tough.
I think the top 3 bots in F1 are Saber, Fruitflies and EtchII. In that order.
And I think maybe Quickdraw takes the first place now, but I'm not sure cause I've been too lazy to run it against everything in F1 and because I'm not sure wich bots are in F1... but I know it beats Saber and EtchII, and I'm pretty sure it beats Fruitflies (Fights took too long, never finished, but since Quickdraw is just Fruitflies with some raping behavior it should have the upper hand).
I still like Fruitflies better though, it's so simple, nothing advanced or complicated about it. It just uses natural selection to find the best tie attack by selecting it's attack from the epigenetic memmory, and since it's small and has litle energy it doesn't matter if some of them die from using the wrong attack

Either way those are 4 of the F1 bots you could take a look at, you'll find them all in the starting gate.

There's also some other good bots but can't remember the names.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »
The reason Etch dies is because in the old version shots from small bots where stronger... but in the new version the shots from such a small bot cost more than the bot gains from hitting something.
So eventualy Etch simply dies from being too small to feed.

But etchII uses ties and such, and works well in the new version.

Here are some of the best F1 bots if you wan't a challenge :
Quickdraw
Saber
Fruitflies
EtchII

The F2 league was run recently though, so the bots in there all work in the new version :
F2 League

I think F2 is missing one new bot that beats Spinner... but not sure if the F2 rules are about to be changed. Might get some rules for use of ties and possibly against "exploits" like using uncapped sysvars to instantkill oponents and such.

And theres also an F3 league... that I need to update soon
(It's just a topic in the bot tavern though)

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
Quote from: Moonfisher
I think F2 is missing one new bot that beats Spinner... but not sure if the F2 rules are about to be changed. Might get some rules for use of ties and possibly against "exploits" like using uncapped sysvars to instantkill oponents and such.
I'm against those instakills too. Maybe the rule ''- Only negative tieloc values allowed.'' would work. I'm not sure what bots use ties with positive values through.(most that use ties probably)

And theres also an F3 league... that I need to update soon
(It's just a topic in the bot tavern though)
It is starting to become a decent league. I should be placed in the league-section soon.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The body
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 12:48:05 AM »
Quote from: Moonfisher
Etch was buildt for the old version of DB, the one you run when you're not using a buddy drop...
But EtchII is buildt for newer versions of DB and is realy tough.
I think the top 3 bots in F1 are Saber, Fruitflies and EtchII. In that order.
And I think maybe Quickdraw takes the first place now, but I'm not sure cause I've been too lazy to run it against everything in F1 and because I'm not sure wich bots are in F1... but I know it beats Saber and EtchII, and I'm pretty sure it beats Fruitflies (Fights took too long, never finished, but since Quickdraw is just Fruitflies with some raping behavior it should have the upper hand).
I still like Fruitflies better though, it's so simple, nothing advanced or complicated about it. It just uses natural selection to find the best tie attack by selecting it's attack from the epigenetic memmory, and since it's small and has litle energy it doesn't matter if some of them die from using the wrong attack

Either way those are 4 of the F1 bots you could take a look at, you'll find them all in the starting gate.

There's also some other good bots but can't remember the names.
Sorry, forgot to update F1, I'll do it right away.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan