Author Topic: Epigenetic locations  (Read 3624 times)

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Epigenetic locations
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »
Hi again,

How do I make a certain DNA location epigenetic? For example, location 550? Thanks!

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Epigenetic locations
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 11:42:06 PM »
The only way I could think of doing that is to use the ten preset epigenetic locations; would be a good feature to implement though.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Epigenetic locations
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 05:00:43 AM »
Just use the standard locations. 971 till 980. Those are epigenetic, the rest isn't. ?And that can't be changed right now.

I don't really see a use for more then 10. If you need more, post a suggestion.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Epigenetic locations
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 11:18:09 AM »
Quote from: Peter
Just use the standard locations. 971 till 980. Those are epigenetic, the rest isn't. ?And that can't be changed right now.

Well, I wanted to run this bot: [a href=\'index.php?showtopic=1807\']Revolutionary bot[/a]

However, it requires that location 550 is epigenetic.

Also, I know that at least jez got it working, so there has to be some way to do that...

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Epigenetic locations
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 11:33:18 AM »
Quote from: jknilinux
Quote from: Peter

Well, I wanted to run this bot: [a href=\'index.php?showtopic=1807\']Revolutionary bot[/a]

However, it requires that location 550 is epigenetic.

Also, I know that at least jez got it working, so there has to be some way to do that...
Change 550 in 971. Should work
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Epigenetic locations
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 06:27:18 PM »
Locations 971-975 are transmitted to the offspring at birth, then locations 976-990 are transmitted through the birth tie over 15 cycles. If the birth tie breaks before the 15 cycles are done the remaining values won't get transmitted. (I think birth ties break automaticaly after 15 cycles, unless you choose to stiffen them maybe)

And you can't make a location epigenetic, there's just the locations above available, the first 5 are obviously the easiest to use since you don't rely on the birth tie to transmit them.
So as Peter said, wherever it sais 550 just insert 971 instead and it should work.
Or you can try out Fruit Flies v0.21  It uses the epigenetic memmory to inherit the attack type of the parent in order to adapt to it's oponents tie defences in league fights
It's also a faily simple bot, nothing realy advanced, about 280 pb or something, and seems to evolve well, atleast it was doing quite well on IM (Although this was a virus version of the bot that had infected seasnake, and it was infected twice, so for evo sims you may want to just copy paste the whole thing once or twice to make mutations less harmfull)
(Also if your sim freezes, try setting the population cap to a lower value, it's currently 1000, and it will reproduce up to twice that number)

I also think Lionfish uses epigenetic memmory, but that one's faily advanced I think... would probably be harder to figure out... fruitflies is about as simple as you can make a bot, barely any movement, just forms ties and uses whatever tie attack it inherited from it's parent... so it's only weapon is tie attacks, and using the right attack via natural selection.