Author Topic: GUI layout  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Cyberduke

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
GUI layout
« on: October 15, 2008, 05:02:59 AM »
I wondered if anyone had any views or opinions on GUI layout.
I haven’t looked though the existing code to see what it’s doing yet but I was having a quick think about this during my commute in to work this morning, I would like to make a clear distinction between the simulation settings, and the application settings, maybe even to the extent of two separate forms.  The simulation settings would be anything that affects the way the simulation plays out, like physics, field sizes, energy inputs, energy costs, etc while the application settings or user preferences would be things like networking, display and auto-save options. To be honest I am not sure what’s currently saved in the current settings file I should have looked, but obviously you want to be able to post your settings (file) and somebody else can try them without it affecting their user preferences which have no bearing on how the simulation plays out.

Note: when I say networking I am thinking of details like host address and max bandwidth use etc, any settings regarding whether or not your bots can migrate across the network and in what numbers, might want to be stored separately in order to be simulation specific but I haven’t though out how that would work yet.

Second Note: Obviously they don’t need to be in separate forms to be stored separately; I am really just thinking about the visual layout and thus any inferred distinctions at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:30:05 AM by Cyberduke »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
GUI layout
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »
Yeah, they should be separated.  The VB code right now it's kind of a hodgepodge of different ideas and places for settings.