Author Topic: my ideas  (Read 3945 times)

Offline multibotlover

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
my ideas
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
more to come soon!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:19:27 AM by multibotlover »

Offline multibotlover

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
my ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:06:41 PM »
ok ive got one.

its a symbiote (not shure if ive spelt it right  )

the first species is a veggie that reproduces rapidly, but dies just as fast. this plant would have no hope of surviving the ravenouse hordes of unicelled bots, but...
the second is an animal mb that looks like a very thick oval shell around the veggies. this shell is constantly in motion, collecting nrg from the bots exploding inside of it. this would give it large amounts of food with little effort, allowing it to grow to massive proportions untill it hits a point when if it grows anymore it wont be able to support its nutritional needs. it then grows a lump on one end that has a few alga in it. this egg floats away and immediatly starts growing, repeating the cycle. it would be very hard to kill one because its shell is 3 to 4 layers thick and it constantly recharged by the food inside.

thus the alga depend on the animal for protection, and the animal depends on the alga for sustinence.

this design could lead to a new classifacation of bot, an entire ecosystem of symbiotes.

Offline multibotlover

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
my ideas
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:28:08 AM »
also a better reproduction system would be if it reaches maximum size it grows two walls through the center that splits the inside in half, then the two halves go their seperate ways.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
my ideas
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »
The big problem with these ideas is: How do you make such a complex organism out of DNA assembly? Sure, it's easy to explain the concept, but how do you translate that into the somewhat esoteric DB DNA code? We have to keep in mind that the most advanced-behavior bots currently (that I know of- correct me if I'm wrong) are antbots, tie-movement worms, and moonfisher's NNbots, which are an order of magnitude less complex than symbiotic shell-making multibots.

The biggest single problem I see with this idea, for example, is reproduction- building a wall down the center of the thing is going to be very difficult to program out of the conds, ands, ors, nots, and "is equal to"s of bot DNA. Yeast-like budding would be worse.

I recommend you start with something simple, like A. Minimalis, and try understanding it's code. Then try modifying it to add poison, viruses, etc...
We're here to help if you have any trouble with anything.
Once you've got that down, then you'll probably be able to move onto more advanced projects.

I was a bit intimidated by the DNA code myself when I first saw it, but once you sit down and go through the tutorials it'll just take a couple of hours to master. If you think designing bots is fun, it isn't even close to the fun you get from building them.
Your ideas aren't impossible, of course, but they're just a bit more difficult than what we currently are familiar with. Don't let that discourage you, though. We need creativity here!

Good luck!

Offline Ta-183

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
my ideas
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »
I'm fairly certain that at this point, the main hurdle isn't the creativity of the programmers, but the usability of the DNA code itself. It doesn't lend itself very well to complicated system. Larger and more advanced bots (Like Guardian) made with interpreters that use a higher level code which is then translated to DNA code seem to be the next logical step, especially seeing the complexity of Guardian's functions, then seeing the pure length of it's DNA (longest bot DNA ever, IIRC). The best way to create better bots (with say, entire 'chromosome' features as opposed to simply genes) with more advanced functions will likely be an object-oriented approach. A language like Python (due to its modularity and ease of use) would fit the bill perfectly.

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
my ideas
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »
Quote from: Ta-183
I'm fairly certain that at this point, the main hurdle isn't the creativity of the programmers, but the usability of the DNA code itself. It doesn't lend itself very well to complicated system. Larger and more advanced bots (Like Guardian) made with interpreters that use a higher level code which is then translated to DNA code seem to be the next logical step, especially seeing the complexity of Guardian's functions, then seeing the pure length of it's DNA (longest bot DNA ever, IIRC). The best way to create better bots (with say, entire 'chromosome' features as opposed to simply genes) with more advanced functions will likely be an object-oriented approach. A language like Python (due to its modularity and ease of use) would fit the bill perfectly.

Exactly.

btw, does anyone know if pybot et al. still works?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
my ideas
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »
It probably does still work.  You'd just have to find the post it's in and try it out.