Author Topic: Spam of late  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Commander Keen

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Spam of late
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »

cond
*.mkspam 0 !=
start
*.mkspam .delspam store
stop

Looks like a bot got lucky on the forum captcha. Hopefully there won't be any more... Damn the Spam!  

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Spam of late
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:19:32 AM »
I don't think it's entirely bots.  My guess is that it's actual people.  They're using gmail accounts and the general behavior doesn't seem entirely consistent.  I've set it up so I have to validate any new accounts.  If I'm right and it's actual people getting passed the captcha, they should give up.  Otherwise I have to think of a better solution.  Make the captcha harder

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Spam of late
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
I don't think it's entirely bots.  My guess is that it's actual people.  They're using gmail accounts and the general behavior doesn't seem entirely consistent.  I've set it up so I have to validate any new accounts.  If I'm right and it's actual people getting passed the captcha, they should give up.  Otherwise I have to think of a better solution.  Make the captcha harder
Why would someone ever just dumb-spam any forum. Probably has some time to waste.
Why doesn't anyone have compassion with this pitiful idiot  . It is clear it hasn't got a live.

How much spam-bots/pitiful idiots have there come through anyway.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Spam of late
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:35:38 PM »
They do it to give their websites a boost on search engines.

It started a few days ago, but since I put manual validation of new users on last night, I had like 8 spam users register.  I think I have a solution, but I need to do some PHP programming which isn't my strongpoint.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Spam of late
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »
I've fixed it!  The forum registration page uses reCAPTCHA now, like the wiki does.  Shouldn't have any more spammers.