Author Topic: so... we meet again  (Read 12215 times)

Offline Gambit

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
Okay so

1. school is back
all of my more time consuming hobbies are out of the question. im shifting back to my more casual hobbies

2. I got this new old computer
I got it working again, added some ram (for a whopping total of about 380mb   ) and downloaded like 8 years of windows updates.

I dont use it much so its perfect for programs that I can setup and then let work for weeks on end

3. my real life selective breeding of pillbugs experiments havnt been going so good lately (spiders keep getting in :\)

so yeah darwinbots is lookin good again.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
Did we ever met?  
Wow, 380mb ram. Amazing.

Anyway welcome back.(Altrough you're not familair).
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Gambit

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
Quote from: Peter
Did we ever met?  
Wow, 380mb ram. Amazing.

Anyway welcome back.(Altrough you're not familair).

nope dont remember you. and yeah 380 isnt much but its sufficient.

I was working on a series of bots designed to recognize each other. they had one purpose, destroy bacillus! lol jk. but yeah they knew each other and they attacked everything except each other.

1 ate, got massive, never killed plants, healed anything in its "family" that was damaged
2 virus that affected anything except "family members" caused them to randomly spit out thier energy and more viruses. bred A LOT
3 venom and poison. it weakened the others not in the "family".
4 and then there was a special plant that only would poison non "family members" but allow the others to eat it.

I lost those files and I dont remember a bit of the DNA programming language but ill relearn.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
1. never killing plants and 4. plant that kills everything exept you is a nice way of co-living.
Give me energie then I won't kill you. All it needs is protecting the plants it feeds on.

380MB could be enough. Depending what you're doing with it. And what OS you're running. I wouldn't advise vista with that amount of memory. Overall memory is often cheap, so if you've too less memory. You can buy more.

I had a computer that worked fine at 640kb. Instant boot, and it use to run everything smooth.

They don't make them that quick these days.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 02:49:49 PM »
It is said: "What Andy giveth, Bill taketh away."

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
It is said: "What Andy giveth, Bill taketh away."
There is more truth to this than you know and it is more deliberate and coordinated than you might expect.  I have attended meetings between MS and Intel execs where the strategic discussion was what "features" to add in future versions so as to use more cycles/memory/graphics so as to keep the upgrade cycle going.  MS doesn't intentionally write slow code to my knowledge, but the squeaky wheel gets the oil and for new OS releases, they target the "common" machine of only so many years back.   So if the perf or working set of something is good enough on the test machine mix, it gets no attention, and lacking attention, code gets bigger and slower over time even without new features..

Welcome back Gambit...
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 03:03:15 PM »
One only has to look at bloated Linux versions to understand that it's hardly a collusion on Microsoft's part.  As you say, if it's good enough on the target machine, there's no reason to push it harder.

Offline Gambit

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 03:25:38 PM »
its windows ME with bare bones in features. if I turn off the virus protection it is amazingly fast for its low ram. it gets better internet speed and loads applications faster than my 512mb XP laptop. it just doesnt have sound... or any sort of 3D support...

I wish that whoever invented integrated graphics cards would be sentanced to 20 years in prison... when they fry theres no way of fixing them.

anyway... whats new?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »
Quote from: Gambit
anyway... whats new?
Some really cool new speciation features and graphs in recent version for evo-sim folks....
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »
its windows ME with bare bones in features. if I turn off the virus protection it is amazingly fast for its low ram. it gets better internet speed and loads applications faster than my 512mb XP laptop. it just doesnt have sound... or any sort of 3D support...
Extra ram could be an option if you have to put stuff off.

I wish that whoever invented integrated graphics cards would be sentanced to 20 years in prison... when they fry theres no way of fixing them.

anyway... whats new?
Overall I think those intergrated cards are making computers overall cheaper. That's why they're good. Not everybody needs a super videocard. And current intergrated sound-cards are that good, it is becoming rare someone buys actual sound-cards.

Ehm new, leagues are too up again. That's also new.

Intel and MS really have that kind of meetings!
I think MS crossed a line with vista, there is a decent performance drop there. I hope they're going to make the next version some more efficient or atleast a way most features can be easily put of, and they do something about the standard security settings.

Offline Gambit

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »
lol I meant integrated sound. :$

if the integrated graphics were shot then id really be screwed :\

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »
lol I meant integrated sound. :$

if the integrated graphics were shot then id really be screwed :\
I wouldn't know I never had that. I know that computer-parts can have a lot sometimes through. I had a CPU that smelted burning. A bios where the sticker melted away. That electrical thing had once exploded, I had multiple harddisks that where making bizarre sounds. Exept for the explosion I can recall that all parts used to go well after ''the incident''.

Offline Gambit

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
well I jsut finished redownloading all the tutorials.

this is the second  langauge ive had to relearn this year :\ too many languages not enough time to practice them all daily.

HTML
CSS
Javascript
C++
VB
WML
DBDNA

Offline Gambit

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
lol this was taken a few minutes ago. just seconds before it crapped out :\

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/Ho...urdock/win2.jpg

this was on my laptop not the junker I plan to use once I relearn DB
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:29:38 PM by Gambit »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
so... we meet again
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »
Welcome back!
they had one purpose, destroy bacillus! lol
Go ahead, I won't mind; still, I'll be interested to see what you come up with...
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan