Author Topic: too fast animation!help!  (Read 9069 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
Collision elasticity on the Physics tab is what you want.

Sim speed is a function of many factors.  Unless you post your sim, it is difficult to help you.
Many beers....

Offline hkwh

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 03:31:48 PM »
Alga_Minimali and T_Preservans

Super small and low cycle sim:
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=61994

Screenshot:

Only Stupido Idiotus has better situation the all other bots get the same problem..

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »
4.4 cycles/sec with 457 bots in such close proximity is about the expected execution speed.  This Topic may be helpful.

Many beers....

Offline hkwh

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
Quote from: EricL
4.4 cycles/sec with 457 bots in such close proximity is about the expected execution speed.  This Topic may be helpful.

strange , I always get above 100 cycle in 2.1 although the field is fill with bots...
and in 2.44...so weird..hmm is it able to limit the bot population in 2.44?
Don't you think those bots are tiny..?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 04:24:40 PM by hkwh »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »
2.44 does a lot more.  Also the cycles/sec may just be broken in that old version.  

You can limit populations using costs.  Auto costs in particular can keep a sim population within a specific range.

Many beers....

Offline hkwh

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »
Quote from: EricL
2.44 does a lot more.  Also the cycles/sec may just be broken in that old version.  

You can limit populations using costs.  Auto costs in particular can keep a sim population within a specific range.
auto cost??do you mean f1 default?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »
Quote from: hkwh
Don't you think those bots are tiny..?
Compared to what?  If you don't want bot size to vary with body, then feel free to use fixed bot radii.

Quote from: hkwh
auto cost??do you mean f1 default?
sorry, it's called Dynamic Costs Adjustment. On the Custom Costs dialog.
Many beers....

Offline hkwh

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »
the bots sometimes shoot out strange line in 2.4 which 2.1 version don't have :

what is it?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »
Its a movement vector - a visual representation of the bot's voluntary movement.  Turn it on/off via the View menu.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »
Why is the 15 cyc/sec button disabled?

Offline hkwh

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 06:06:42 PM »
What setting are you using for 2.44? I want a best setting that I can watch the smoothest animation,can someone upload your setting file?

and the view option cant save!I have to untick the view such as vector movement everytime I open the program..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:08:09 PM by hkwh »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Why is the 15 cyc/sec button disabled?
I wasn't aware that it was.  I've enabled it for the next release.
Many beers....

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
The previous settings should be kept over loading, but maybe 2.44 is different. I suggest making the changes you want, then saving the settings under 'default.set'. The save/load settings button is at the bottom left corner of the settings window.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 01:42:16 AM »
Quote from: bacillus
The previous settings should be kept over loading, but maybe 2.44 is different. I suggest making the changes you want, then saving the settings under 'default.set'. The save/load settings button is at the bottom left corner of the settings window.
I don't believe settings work right in 2.44 anyway. Just load a saved sim and you can take the settings from that.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
too fast animation!help!
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »
Quote from: Peter
I don't believe settings work right in 2.44 anyway. Just load a saved sim and you can take the settings from that.
Settings work fine but not everything is saved into settings files (or sim files for that matter).  I have followed a philosophy that makes a distinction between those settings which are specific to a particular simulation and those settings which are not.  The former includes physics, costs, sim-options like field size, toroidal, no ties, fixed radii, species lists and so on.  The latter includes things like window positions and sizes, which graphs are open, whether the display is on or off and viewing options such as shot impact dots, resource gauges and movement vectors.   The state associated with these latter things IMHO should not be placed into either sim or settings files since they are really solely for the viewing pleasure of the human.  They have no impact on the sim itself and they should in fact should persist across multiple sim invocations.  You would not want all your graphs to close or your window positions and sizes to change every time you load a sim.   Instead these things  should be persisted in a sim-independent manner into their own INI file or the registry so that they persist across program invocations.  Unfortunately, today they are not persisted at all.  Doing this is on my list of work items but it is not high priority.  I think that most people would agree that it is not an undue hardship to re-open a graph, resize a window or turn-off a viewing option once each time they start the simulator.     I'll get to it someday, but not near term.
Many beers....