Author Topic: 2.44 Released  (Read 5821 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »
This topic is just a place for me to keep track of the changes I make from one version to another, in this case from 2.43.1M to version 2.44. It is not the complete list of stuff in the next drop (yet) just the stuff I have completed to date. I will edit this post as I complete changes and start a new topic for each new release.

If there is a link to an interim release attached to this topic, it is a stable buddy drop which you are encouraged to try. Such 'between release' exes will have letters following the release version e.g. 2.43a.

If you have feature requests or bug reports for this version, please report those as separate topics in the Bug Reports forum and be sure to include the specifc version, a complete description of the behaviour and how it differs from what you expect and if possible, an attached sim file.

1) Lots of bug fixes.
2) New automated species forking capabilities.  Uses genetic distance and generational distance (see below).  When automatic species forking is used, species are forked once the maximum genetic distance and maximum generational distance for the species exceeds the values set in this dialog.  Note that setting values below 100 for either of these can result in species proliferation.   Note also that a species must have at least 10 members to be forked.  A future version will allow this value to be human modified.
3) New Genetic Distance (Maximum) graph replaces Subspecies Distance graph.  This graph displays the maximum genetic distance within each species.  The genetic distance is the number of mutations separating two extant bots.  If two extant bots A and B are of the same species, ignoring the case of sim startup, they share a most recent, common, perhaps long dead ancestor bot C.  The genetic distance between bots A and B is the sum of the number of mutations that have occurred between bots C and A and the number of mutations that have occurred between bots C and B.   The maximum genetic distance for a species is the number of mutations separating the two most distantly related bots (as measured by number of mutations) in the species.
4) New Generational Distance graph.  This graph is similar to genetic distance except that it measures generational distance.   Generational distance is the number of generations separating two extant bots.  If two extant bots A and B are of the same species, ignoring the case of sim startup, they share a most recent, common, perhaps long dead ancestor bot C.  The generational distance between bots A and B is the sum of the number of generations that have occurred between bots C and A and the number of generations that have occurred between bots C and B.   The maximum generational distance for a species is the number of generations separating the two most distantly related bots (as measured by number of generations) in the species.

2.43.1m Download

5) Lots of bug fixes related to speciation.
6) Speciation criteria now include minimum species population.
7) Species can now be renamed via the Species tab on the options dialog.

2.44 Download
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:54:58 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »
Many beers....

Offline Alex6015

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »
Sorry im I'm not supposed to reply here, but the new DB  (2.44) runs REALLY laggy on my comp,which is a kinda new one. Is it supposed to be like this?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:41:27 PM »
What's the latest version you can run that doesn't run laggy?

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:31:40 PM »
Might be unrelated. but I can recall the old 2.1 running much faster then newer versions like 2.4.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
The GUI might be a bit more responsive, and trivial simulations of a dozen or so bots should probably run faster, but large simulations with hundreds of bots should be much much faster in newer versions.  Eric did a lot of work to make physics and vision faster.  Let me know if that's not the case and I'll see what's what.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:56:57 PM by Numsgil »

Offline peterb

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:21:36 AM »
hi
It has been a while i since i have logged on here

i wondered, the most recent versions seams 2.44.04  

which is somehow a much smaller compilation then any previous one ??  (whats the cause of that)

But also i wanted to know, have new DNA commands been introduced, is the wiki still up to date (sexrepro maybe, or viruses of multi genes? )

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
2.44 Released
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
It's smaller because I packed it with UPX.  It's smaller packed than it is zipped.  So less bandwidth for people to download, and less space on the hard drive from 50 different versions floating around.

Nothing really new feature wise.  It's mostly fixing some minor annoyances and bugs.