Author Topic: Current state of the DBII community?  (Read 4975 times)

Offline De-Maskus

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Current state of the DBII community?
« on: September 20, 2008, 02:08:49 PM »
How many people would you say frequent this board? I would really love to learn to code the bots, and look forward to getting my computer to connect on IM without crashing DB, but it looks like the latest posts are from half a month ago, and to only active users I can really call active are the moderators. Did the community die?

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 02:23:31 PM »
There are more members then you think, some topics are indeed a half month old or even older.
Oh, and I'm not really a mod and I'm pretty well active.  

As far I know IM isn't very stable working right now. I won't crash or anything, but there seem to be some connection problems, it could happen you're not getting a connection. I believe it is pretty high at the priority list of things to do. (atleast it should be)

Have you seen the wiki. Where all of the tutorials are, and information about how the dna works.

And before I forget it,

Welcome to the forum.  

Alright, now is the moment for everybody to post. We may not let newcomers think the form is dead.

You there, post now,  ,you too.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline De-Maskus

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
On the topic of IM,

the specific problem im having is that only 1 or 2 cycles after I enable IM, I get runtime error 9, subscript out of range. my short-term goal for IM was going to be developing a bot than can efectively hunt Shrinking Violet and poses a significant threat to the current iteration of that damned Seasnake.

But if IM wont work, I cant do that.

Are there any specific ports that IM uses? Also, does it work if I'm behind a LAN?

One more thing

Im planning on building a junker PC or dusting off an obsolete laptop to run DB off in a corner of the room, and I plan on installing an old, cheap NVidia card and using it to supplement the CPU (NVidia released a utility a while back that allows you to use an NVidia card for things other than video games, it was intended for use by small laborotories and universities that cant afford a real supercomputer) and I was wondering how good of a processor or NVidia supplement it would require for a machine quite literally made out of scrap parts to run DB comfortably

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Well this is what I get when I run IM, it works, kind of.
20-9-2008 21:06:32: Error disconnecting Unable to connect to remote host
20-9-2008 21:06:32: Seasnake 1.3.txt teleported in from EricL2
20-9-2008 21:06:34: Error disconnecting Unable to connect to remote host
20-9-2008 21:06:40: Error disconnecting Unable to connect to remote host
20-9-2008 21:06:52: Error disconnecting Unable to connect to remote host
20-9-2008 21:06:52: Alga_Minimalis.txt sent to internet.
20-9-2008 21:06:52: Alga_Minimalis.txt sent to internet.
I wouldn't know why you get an error, that shutsdown DB.

How did you run IM, just like that. Or did you run it with a bot. I would recomend to run it with a bot.

Seasnake still rules. Maybe I'll use a whipe out virus.

To run DB comfortably. It depends what is comfortably, and how big is the sim(how many bots). I would't know I never used any GPU as a CPU. Can they really do it that well.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
DB should never crash like that.  Definately write up a post in the bugs and fixes forum and Eric'll look at it (relatively soon hopefully).

The forum's never been that active.  We have maybe a dozen or so active members at any one time.  That's been true for the few years since I've been around.  ALife stuff is a bit boring for most people   I figure we might have 10x that user count that never registered in the forum.

And, ah, welcome

Offline De-Maskus

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »
Well, I tried running IM today, and it didnt crash. Yay!

BUT....

9/20/2008 3:55:06 PM: Time out disconnecting
9/20/2008 3:55:36 PM: Time out disconnecting
9/20/2008 3:56:07 PM: Time out disconnecting

EDIT:

Oh wait...

9/20/2008 3:57:12 PM: Time out disconnecting
9/20/2008 3:58:44 PM: hive.txt sent to internet.
9/20/2008 3:59:07 PM: hive.txt sent to internet.
9/20/2008 3:59:27 PM: hive.txt sent to internet.
9/20/2008 3:59:57 PM: hive.txt sent to internet.
9/20/2008 4:00:15 PM: hive.txt sent to internet.
9/20/2008 4:00:52 PM: Time out disconnecting
9/20/2008 4:00:52 PM: Spiral (IB)(F2)(abyaly)-16.06.07.txt teleported in from TooManyMasks

YAY ITS WORKING

BUT... (Again)

Im only getting bots that id previously sent out... And it says 4 sims are online! What gives?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:20:13 PM by De-Maskus »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
First, welcome to the forum De-Maskus.

Second, my apologies for the IM bug.  As I describe in the bug you posted, my testing of the new species forking feature exposed this bug in older versions that could not handle large numbers of species.  This should be fixed in 2.43.1m which is out now.  Give it a try and I'll see you in internet mode.

Third, you may see the sim count in IM be larger than the number of sims currently running.  When someone shuts down their IM sim (or gets disconnected due to the connection bug) I don't if they have gone away for 10 minutes or 10 days so inactive sims are kept in the population count for a period of time in case they come back. It takes somewhere between 24 and 48 hours for inactive sims to be removed from the population and sim count.  You can tell which sims are actively running by watching the Internet Sim Populations graph.  Inactive sims will show a flat line over time.  The population should fluctuate for active, running sims.

Many beers....

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
Quote from: De-Maskus
Im planning on building a junker PC or dusting off an obsolete laptop to run DB off in a corner of the room, and I plan on installing an old, cheap NVidia card and using it to supplement the CPU (NVidia released a utility a while back that allows you to use an NVidia card for things other than video games, it was intended for use by small laborotories and universities that cant afford a real supercomputer) and I was wondering how good of a processor or NVidia supplement it would require for a machine quite literally made out of scrap parts to run DB comfortably
Hello and welcome.
I don't know about newer versions (I tend to stick to slightly outdated versions that I know are stable   ), but usually DB tends to crash every now and again, so leaving a computer running all by itself might work as well as you want it to.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan