Author Topic: 'Duplicate Species' button  (Read 3207 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
'Duplicate Species' button
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
When the 'Duplicate Species' button is clicked, an error message comes up saying that only bots originated in this simulation can be cloned. However, you can't put bots from the simulation into the loaded species list (as far as I know,  so this may not be a bug). Is this a useless button, or how does it work?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 05:39:25 PM »
That's sounds like a recent addition error message.

The way it's supposed to work is basically take a species entry in the list and make a new entry with the exact same settings.  Useful if you want to start like 5 strains of a bot with slightly different initial settings.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »
If you take the original DB2.0 you can see, how it happened to work. I never used it, duplicate species let you put in the same bot two times, but all bots from that specie(that you duplicated) where put into a same graph. Possible becouse they share a name or something.

So if the dupplicate species tab is fixed could the graph thing be fixed too, or be made becouse it didn't ever work as far I know.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:03:33 AM »
What is the goal for the duplicate species button. I the current state I don't reallt see a use for it. I it really hasn't, can the delete all species buton be set back at that place.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Dup Species works in 2.44 as far as I can tell.  I plan to resolve this bug as fixed unless someone indicates otherwise.

I can bring back Delete All if people really need it.  As it is, I thought the Rename functionality was a better use of space, particularly with the new speciation capabilities.    One can still delete species one at a time...
Many beers....