Author Topic: Right of the screen is black  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Right of the screen is black
« on: August 20, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
Well just see the picture, the right site of the sim is there but cannot be seen.

Sim and picture attached. I've got four duplicate sims with desame problem so if you want more you can get more sims.

Fout!
Verbinding verbroken door server

Het adres http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?...ff--forum_id=10 dat you probeerde te bereiken, is momenteel niet beschikbaar. Controleer of het webadres (de URL) goed is geschreven, probeer daarna de pagina te herladen.
Overtuig you ervan dat uw internetverbinding actief is en controleer of andere toepassingen die dezelfde verbinding gebruiken goed werken.

Eh, huh. This is what I get when I just tried to upload, in the upload space.

Well, alright I saved the file without mutations, and upon loading I see still the problem.(I just saw the maximum single file upload size)
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
This look like a bug that is caused when switching between certain different applications. I see you have a lot running there. DB can have problems realign everything when changing window size, clicking on the drag boxes etc. Can be a bit annoying.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:26:57 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
This look like a bug that is caused when switching between certain different applications. I see you have a lot running there. DB can have problems realign everything when changing window size, clicking on the drag boxes etc. Can be a bit annoying.
Well I keep the problem when I load the same sim again(so without changing windows in that time). Not sure if anything else on the computer could be interfering with it, I wonder how.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:56:25 AM »
Alright maybe Testlund is right in some way, after a restart of the computer the sim is completely normal.

It stays strange that all four of the DB-sims where producing the exact same problem at the time.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:30:48 PM »
I can probably count the number of times I've gotten a blue screen on XP (not just Darwinbots, ever) on one hand.  If it doesn't happen again, I guess we just chalk it up to a rarity and move on?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 01:39:42 PM »
It's not a blue screen.  It's a window paint problem caused by thrashing.   He's paging his page file.  I'll see what I can do w.r.t. reducing the DB working set over time, but Peter, you should add some RAM to your box if you are going to run so many things at once.
Many beers....

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:43:35 AM »
I can probably count the number of times I've gotten a blue screen on XP (not just Darwinbots, ever) on one hand. If it doesn't happen again, I guess we just chalk it up to a rarity and move on?
Well, I putted the blue screen of XP at another bugtopic.  There DB triggers the blue screen, by loading a specific sim.

Quote from: EricL
It's not a blue screen.  It's a window paint problem caused by thrashing.   He's paging his page file.  I'll see what I can do w.r.t. reducing the DB working set over time, but Peter, you should add some RAM to your box if you are going to run so many things at once.
Alright, so it just came becouse I used more RAM then I had. I'll look where I can find some extra RAM.

A not bug specific question.
About the RAM, at this moment I've got two RAM-chips of each 1GB. Type is DDR2 SDRAM DIMM.
Speed is 333mhz. Does this mean I can buy a different speed of it, or do I have to keep it at the same speed of RAM.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
I don't know about others here, but I have problem even running the browser together with DB and I have 2 GB RAM and an Athlon Dual Core CPU 2.2 GHz (equivalent to a 4.2 GHz single core). I usually pause or quit DB when doing other stuff on the computer. DB doesn't like to compete about resources.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »
Heh, I guess I confused the topics when I replied.

You're probably stuck at that speed ram.  I think....  I'm not a hardware guy so don't quote me  but I think all RAM has to be same clock speed, and it has to much the bus speed, which is a hardware thing you probably can't change.

If you have two gigs of Ram, that should be enough.  That's what I have at home.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »
Maybe that's the reason in my case; my bus speed isn't optimal. I've also heard it's not recommended to mix various RAM together. Keep the same brand and clock speed and run a program called Memtest86+ right after you've installed them, to check they're not faulty. It's quite common with faulty RAM even when they're new, which will cause hangs, crashes and data loss.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:01:58 PM »
Quote from: Testlund
I don't know about others here, but I have problem even running the browser together with DB and I have 2 GB RAM and an Athlon Dual Core CPU 2.2 GHz (equivalent to a 4.2 GHz single core). I usually pause or quit DB when doing other stuff on the computer. DB doesn't like to compete about resources.
Well, with my intel-quadcore Q6600. Haven't got a clue what that is in comparison with a single core. I had my browser open, running 4 DB-apps, utorrent and posseble some other stuff I had running, at the time I was playing battlefield. I didn't notice a thing about speed.

Alright the reason for it, I have given a lower priority to DB.
alt-control-delete
processes(well second tab from the left)
lookup a DB-app
left click, by priority you choose low.

I think a dualcore has to be able to run two DB-apps at full speed that way. Everything else pushes DB off the priority list.
I believe it hasn't got an real effect on the performence of DB. (besides doing something CPU-expensive, but even then. My feeling is that most time DB can be run as low priority.

As an suggestion it could be handy for others, to put DB automated into a lower priority if it put inside the toolbar. Any ideas about that.

About the RAM-speed, I knew that I have bought for my former computer some new ram that time. The speed of that RAM was higher then my other ram, and it did run. It could be that it the RAM is automated putted at a lower speed to match bus-speed, other ram-speed, but it run that time.

I had some doubts becouse I have hearn people having problems with different RAM.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 03:12:16 PM »
If a Quad Core is rated at 2.3 GHz, it means that each of its four cores can run at 2.3 Ghz.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 04:42:40 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
If a Quad Core is rated at 2.3 GHz, it means that each of its four cores can run at 2.3 Ghz.
If you state it like that it is pretty obvious. And probably there isn't a real good comparison with single cores is there, or may you just count, in my case 2,4*4, then I would have a 9,6gHz processor if it runs at full power. That sounds nice . I am not exactly sure if that is accountable couse they chare some cache. But anyway.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »
It entirely depends on what sort of computing you do.  If you run a single threaded app, like Darwinbots, it can only use one core so it'll be only slightly better than a single core (the other cores can help handle things like windows processes, etc.).  If you run a game with multiple threads, or something like 4 instances of Darwinbots, you will see marked speed improvements over your single core version.

But yeah, in the end there tends to be more issues with cache and RAM and virtual memory and things like that so a straight comparison isn't always easy.