Author Topic: Project Sandbox Universe  (Read 11516 times)

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:01:54 AM »
Right, a team I've assembled is now working on quite a project; as part of the project we've decided to include a genetics engine similiar to the DB engine, only without as many textual commands. We are going to use 4 simple codons to program all ai for the game.

I dont mean to advertise this game, but merely wanted the DB makers to know that I intend on using the concept of DB in Sandob Universe: http://sandboxuniverse.freeforums.org

Enjoy.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »
Quote from: gymsum
Right, a team I've assembled is now working on quite a project; as part of the project we've decided to include a genetics engine similiar to the DB engine, only without as many textual commands. We are going to use 4 simple codons to program all ai for the game.

I dont mean to advertise this game, but merely wanted the DB makers to know that I intend on using the concept of DB in Sandob Universe: http://sandboxuniverse.freeforums.org

Enjoy.
Only 4 commands? Im a pleased to know how.

1 reproduces (most important)
2 move
3 see
4 shoot
Indeed, for a simple simulation it could fit well with a few commands.

Is the genetics engine already made, as you said you're gonna include it. Is that engine made already?

Have you coded earlier, I see 5 topics and in two of them I see MMO in the title. That is not sounding very profesional.

With how many are you on your team?

What languege will you use.

Is the game about evolving or is it just used for ai.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »
Quote from: Peter

Enjoy.
Only 4 commands? Im a pleased to know how.

1 reproduces (most important)
2 move
3 see
4 shoot
Indeed, for a simple simulation it could fit well with a few commands.

Is the genetics engine already made, as you said you're gonna include it. Is that engine made already?

Have you coded earlier, I see 5 topics and in two of them I see MMO in the title. That is not sounding very profesional.

With how many are you on your team?

What languege will you use.

Is the game about evolving or is it just used for ai.

Here is the entire layout for gameplay before the team took over: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=391102

We havent changed much with it, so its still up to date (link above)

we have 3 programmers, 2 artists, 2 designers, 2 alpha testers and 1 3d artist. We will use Dark Basic Pro Online, which supports C++. The entire engine is being built from nothing; we have various scripts that programmers have offered for functions, adn have dlls and exstenstions going for the engines. THe genetics end of the game is for battles, and in game technologies and limiatitations/adaptations. And yeah that codon set up is the idea, but with more commands.

First codon - Mate commands/Read (1)*
Second codon - Body commands/Memory Commands*
Third codon - Sensor Select
Fourth codon - Memory store

*these two must be used together and form a dual codon with one empty T codon in front of it
THis would allow a gene to go from, read, to store, to act, and vice versa. Mostly this end of the genetics simulation is for use in RTS ai implementation, so that a bird of another planet may fly a different pattern or be more agressive. THen the idea that a battle could include the enemy army and their native animals becomes a reality.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »
(Bites tongue really hard...)

Best of luck.  Are you one of the designers?  Does that mean you won't be coding?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:04:51 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »
Well, I'll try to keep quiet.

But, you know this is big right. You know that putting this though well, this could cost time. You've got to keep a team together.

Chance this is going wrong is pretty big.

But anyway, 3D, MMO, big complicated, your first project?? I hope not.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »
Well, I'll try to keep quiet.

But, you know this is big right. You know that putting this though well, this could cost time. You've got to keep a team together.

Chance this is going wrong is pretty big.

But anyway, 3D, MMO, big complicated, your first project?? I hope not.

Not my first project; but its a new team. We've got two programmers now and only one knows C++, the other's willing to learn. I'm heading game design with another guy. We have our outline for the Engine and are still putting it together, most likely it will take two years and possible more than one team; hopefully we can keep a dedicated programmer for the entire project, he woudl be the best paid member with the royalties. But we do want DB to recieve acknowledgement for original design on the ideas within the mutations and such, I think DB was the first free engine to provide fully functioning dna simulation.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 09:56:42 PM »
I'm still biting my tongue.  Karma points +5 for me

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil

what gives?

We're not using Dark basic...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:26:02 PM by gymsum »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 02:52:31 AM »
Indeed, so much open doors. I sense even more doors that will be opened.

what gives?

What does the language matter?  

But it is now an galaxy-MMORTS, if I understand this right.
How do you care with people logging out. You can't keep a empire unguarded.

Edit: He, I saw just this.
hopefully we can keep a dedicated programmer for the entire project, he woudl be the best paid member with the royalties
The members get paid. Will you pay them now or are you going to pay after the game is finished with the profits of the game-sales.

And further, it is not your first project, what was your first project. Is this your first team or isn't it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:04:36 AM by Peter »

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »
Indeed, so much open doors. I sense even more doors that will be opened.

what gives?

What does the language matter?  

But it is now an galaxy-MMORTS, if I understand this right.
How do you care with people logging out. You can't keep a empire unguarded.

Edit: He, I saw just this.
hopefully we can keep a dedicated programmer for the entire project, he woudl be the best paid member with the royalties
The members get paid. Will you pay them now or are you going to pay after the game is finished with the profits of the game-sales.

And further, it is not your first project, what was your first project. Is this your first team or isn't it.

Lan guage matters because some cant handle things; for example for this to be in QBasic would be rediculous, the graphics couldnt handle anything.

Im not sure you guys fully understand, its only multiplayer when fighting species against otehr human made spexcies. Its single Player until you can even go to the next part of the game..

This is a first for teams; I've done simpler projects such as NAMBLA, lame 2d shooter I built for Physics. I know SPore exsisted but I think it turned into a turd.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:39:21 PM »
Spore... hasn't been released yet.  In fact it's got a lot of hype right now, it releases in about a month.  The creature editor is available for download free right now, actually.

NAMBLA?  Not sure if that's a game I'd want to play.

Here's a simple question: is your project larger in scope than Spore?  Because spore took like 7 years to develop and cost, well, I think it's the most expensive game ever produced, ever, IIRC.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »
Spore... hasn't been released yet.  In fact it's got a lot of hype right now, it releases in about a month.  The creature editor is available for download free right now, actually.

Here's a simple question: is your project larger in scope than Spore?  Because spore took like 7 years to develop and cost, well, I think it's the most expensive game ever produced, ever, IIRC.

Its going to be more Universe Creation focused, adn its goign to be released in patches so we can add more features in the future should we choose to.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »

Depends, what is the goal. If shooting the members would be the goal, I could give it a try. It is rather strange that that kinds of organisations exist. Reminds me of the paedophiles-party, they tried to start a political party in the Netherlands. The court (luckyly) decided that they may not enter the elections.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
Maybe a horror game with NAMBLA instead of zombies.  You're a little kid and your goal is not to get sexed.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Project Sandbox Universe
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
Maybe a horror game with NAMBLA instead of zombies.  You're a little kid and your goal is not to get sexed.
NAMBLA is term Jon Stewart uses for evey ancronym; I used it as a mission name for Green Peace, the objective was to prevent global warming. You ran around with a gun and flame thrower shooting emissions and blowing up things taht caused global warming.