Author Topic: Portable?  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Havvy

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Portable?
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »
Hey, if I put this program onto a flash drive, will it leave files on the computer I run it on?  These include registry values and other files.  I think it's dependent on the .net framework.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Portable?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
The program you probably have, Darwinbots2.4X, uses Visual Basic 6 and its run times.  It will not install anything but it might not run (unless you run the installer).

The program that uses .Net, which I have labeled DB3, is only partially done but would run using the .Net framework.  It, too, would not install anything during a normal run.

Offline Havvy

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Portable?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »
Eh, it'll run if the computer it's plugged into has the necessary dependency.  I mean, does it create any registry files or other such things that would be left on the host computer?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Portable?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »
The installer does, the executable does not.

Offline Havvy

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Portable?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »
That is manageable then.  Just install it on a computer you own, and use CCleaner when the flash drive is removed.

Thanks numsgil.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Portable?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »
Note that you do not necessarily need to run the installer to run the game.  If you install Darwinbots to your thumb drive, for instance, and go to another computer, you can run Darwinbots from the thumb drive assuming the other computer has all the necessary system DLLs already (a somewhat big if).