Author Topic: Quick Qustion  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Quick Qustion
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
Numsjil, I was wondering are you using C#2005 or C#2008 (3.0) to make db3. I am also wondering why not use vb.net 2008 because as I have read the relationship between c# and vb.net is the same as say between vbscript and javascript...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 12:26:59 PM by Botsareus »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Quick Qustion
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
I'm using 2005 professional edition.  Moving to 2008 would either mean moving to the introductory version or shelling out the cash for the professional version.  I'll move if and only if there's some new feature that I really need that 2005 doesn't have.  That's what got me away from MSVC 6.

I like C# more than Visual Basic, so that's the only reason it's in C#.  The neat thing about .NET is that code I write is accessible to any .NET language, so if someone were to come along and want to write a module or something in VB, they could do it just as easily as if they wanted to use C#.

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Quick Qustion
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
Very Cool

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Quick Qustion
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:51:52 AM »
I've been wrestling with C# for a while, but after a certain point it just got too stubborn and I gave up. Any other platforms worth mentioning?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Quick Qustion
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 03:41:44 AM »
Ruby is a fun language to tinker with.  It has a certain elegance about it.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Quick Qustion
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
I worked with Ruby for a while; I heard it has many similarities to Small-Talk, which never really became mainstreamed, especially passing functions as variables. After a while, I moved on to JRuby, because it integrated so many of the utility classes I have previously made in Java, and still uses the Ruby syntax. Basically, you can scaffold the program with Java, then build it all together with JRuby, which really fascinated me.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan