Author Topic: Continuance of the INfinity Proposal  (Read 21720 times)

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Continuance of the INfinity Proposal
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
Umm I did it much easier. Remember d=vt. well I just remembered that accelerating from 0 to anything at any rate will give you a sumation of distances for the inital few seconds, and then once it hits top speed its simple addition. So I did 20/4 and came up with about 5 seconds, and that put the raptor 60 meters up, and the human  coudl only cover 6*5 meters, or 30, so it would be 70 meters out or 10 meters from the raptor by then, simple subtraction got me the extra second and some it would take to catch up. As for the second question, I was never to good with vectors, especially ones like that that leave a large room for an answer of interpretation. If you run to the two faster raptors, you're dead sooner. So I just went with immediate easiest described, otherwise I have a range of 90-180 degrees of choices to choose from and I never took calculous.

So redemption: its 20 meters away I assume and still accelerates at 4m/s2, so in 2.5 seconds it will reach top speed, and in that time will have convered only 22 meteres, and the human runs 6m/s, so we can do 10-6 4m/s is the difference.. I would say about 6 seconds as its half the distance and halfe the speed, and t=d/v and 40/20=20/10.
And the distance would be 6*6 about 36 meters away. I think thats correct.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
Quote from: gymsum
I never took calculous.

You're missing out.  Calculus makes all of that hard Algebra II math suddenly make sense.  Calculus is like the string theory of math (only, you know, provable)

So redemption: its 20 meters away I assume

You assume wrong.  The problem says 40 meters away.  But I can pretend that it said 20 meters away and give you some partial credit...

And the distance would be 6*6 about 36 meters away. I think thats correct.

I get 48.75, assuming an initial distance of 20 meters.  I checked it twice.  That gives you a relative error of 26%.  Not low enough for partial credit.  Sorry.  Did you forget to add the distance the human covers while the raptor is accelerating (you'd still be wrong, but you might be less wrong.  You should be able to arrive at an exact answer, using nothing but fractions if that's what you prefer).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:52:36 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:09 AM »
Gymsum are you doing this on purpose?

Here you will get a (simple)calculation lesson.

I've tried to do it like you described. But then with right anwsers.

distance between gymsum and raptor
20 meters
acceleration raptor: 4m/s2
topspeed raptor:10ms
speed gymsum 6m/s.

Here you go with your 2,5 sec acceleration.
2,5 * 10 / 2=  12,5m

Here you see the human is faster
2,5 * 6 =  15m

Wow 2,5 meters more distance.
15-12,5 = 2,5m

Now it is 22,5meter.
20+2,5=22,5m

Speed difference is 4m/s, how much seconds.
22,5/4 = 5,615s

And here we see the distance the human has walked before it was eaten.
(5,615+2,5) *6=

8,125*6 = 48,75

And just as you, it is all calculated with that gray stuff, up there in my head that the whole time screams, just use a calculator  .

As for the second question, you may anwser it simple. You may also try it with that the raptors changes every second it angle or something.

Imagine that the raptor exactly knows what you're going to do, as some kind of mindreader. Inmidiatly he takes the right angle to get you and he goes in a straight line. This means that the angle where you survive the longest, is the point where both raptors get you at desame time. Remember they go in a straigt line inmidiatly to the point where they are going the eat you.

Use a calculator, and think well. Just act like this is a test. Maybe then we'll think you're smart
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 10:56:09 AM »
No thanks.

Trying to evade raptors seems extremely irrelevant to the topic. Also I have thought more about the time lapse purpose of the equation. If you recall the 4d sphere. Well imagine that all knowledge is contained within the dimension its percieved through, that means that things like location and distances are 3d. But as each progression of events unfolds, the amount of amplification in entropy remains to be the same if you consider that entropy might be conserved, as a relative way to allow for the Universe to experience varrying levels of Entropy, not saying it has a limit, but that entropy is relative to everything in the universe. So as each event happens, the amount of information is 4d in nature, since entropy follows an inverse squares law should you graph it as a wave, as time continues the amount of entropy from something (previous) remains constant. That is to say the butterfly flapping its wings once to start a hurricane, could die moments later but the entropy of the wing has already continued in the hurricane. So all knowledge of the future can be found by taking the Universal time stamp of the future, subtracting the opresent time stamp from it, and then raising it to the power of Time. This means that no matter what action is taken, the entropy of that action continues indefinitely (cause and effects can be described in this way, as the past cannot be changed). Now if you're wanting to discuss theoretical physics, I'm all yours, but I simply have no time to imagine a raptor, its liek trying to imagine a moose that stands 20 feet from hoof to ear. Its not really practical because it doesnt occur in nature anymore, however the entroyp it created continues to this day, in the form of oil and global warming.

Regardless of what some DB discussion bot makers think of my ideas, this discussion was meant for understanding knowledge on a universal scale.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »
No thanks.

Trying to evade raptors seems extremely irrelevant to the topic.
Inrelevant, raptors are inrelevant! Wait till a raptor finds you, I wonder what you will say then. Raptors inrelevant?

Also I have thought more about the time lapse purpose of the equation. If you recall the 4d sphere. Well imagine that all knowledge is contained within the dimension its percieved through, that means that things like location and distances are 3d.
So knowledge is a dimension, amazing. At this moment I will ask for sources. Oh, and this coused me to stop reading. Where are you at the moment, are there people with white coates, may you go outside.

Regardless of what some DB discussion bot makers think of my ideas, this discussion was meant for understanding knowledge on a universal scale.
So what do you want to know?
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »
No thanks.

Trying to evade raptors seems extremely irrelevant to the topic.
Now if you're wanting to discuss theoretical physics, I'm all yours, but I simply have no time to imagine a raptor, its liek trying to imagine a moose that stands 20 feet from hoof to ear. Its not really practical because it doesnt occur in nature anymore, however the entroyp it created continues to this day, in the form of oil and global warming.

You're just mad because you got it wrong.  Twice.    And we'll see how useless it is when scientists take their T Rex DNA and clone it ala Jurassic Park.  Sure raptors and rex's are different animals, but I think the principle is the same.

Also, dinosaurs (and mooses, since you mention it (moosi?)) didn't create oil and global warming.  You should check out the straight dope.

Also I have thought more about the time lapse purpose of the equation. If you recall the 4d sphere. Well imagine that all knowledge is contained within the dimension its percieved through, that means that things like location and distances are 3d. But as each progression of events unfolds, the amount of amplification in entropy remains to be the same if you consider that entropy might be conserved, as a relative way to allow for the Universe to experience varrying levels of Entropy, not saying it has a limit, but that entropy is relative to everything in the universe. So as each event happens, the amount of information is 4d in nature, since entropy follows an inverse squares law should you graph it as a wave, as time continues the amount of entropy from something (previous) remains constant. That is to say the butterfly flapping its wings once to start a hurricane, could die moments later but the entropy of the wing has already continued in the hurricane. So all knowledge of the future can be found by taking the Universal time stamp of the future, subtracting the opresent time stamp from it, and then raising it to the power of Time. This means that no matter what action is taken, the entropy of that action continues indefinitely (cause and effects can be described in this way, as the past cannot be changed).

All my previous comments (can't raise things to the power of time!) apply here.

You see, you're not the first person to think of "information" in strictly abstract, relative terms.  Some pretty smart guys got together and came up with information theory.  Information can be encoded as a string of bits.  So all information is inherently one dimensional, if you want to look at it that way.

Offline abyaly

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 01:30:34 AM »
Raptors are always relevant.

The word incalculable isn't all that out there, nums. Have you heard of the busy beaver function?

Lancre operated on the feudal system, which was to say, everyone feuded all
the time and handed on the fight to their descendants.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »
That's usually called uncomputable, though, right?  Not quite the same thing either, though it might be closer to what he had in mind originally.

Also, I'm going to amend my mention of raising things to the power of time.  Raising things to the positive power of time is silly, but raising them to the negative power of time shows up a lot in the equations for damped springs.  The rational that raising things to the power of time is necessary because they're geometric doesn't make sense either.  Geometric series are easily calculable.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 03:05:38 AM by Numsgil »

Offline abyaly

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 07:56:47 AM »
Yeah, but the words calculable and computable are rather close relatives.
Also, exponential and logistic growth curves use positive time exponents.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 01:13:24 PM »
Heh, right again.  I need to be more careful when I declare things to be absurd, I've used e^-kt and e^kt often enough, so I have no excuse.  

Though I would still say that exponential growth is a local phenomenon in time.  That is, not something one would expect to exist over the long term, where an S curve is more common.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:16:55 PM by Numsgil »

Offline abyaly

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
The root problem isn't something you'll be able to fix. When someone's ideas go unquestioned for too long, they never see the need to have the kind of rules we follow.
The method someone uses for putting together an argument depends on the obstacles they've had to deal with. If they have found ethos or pathos to be effective for a long time, switching away from it is really hard. Arguing using only logic is really counter-intuitive and most people won't pick it up (or even want to) unless they run into a certain kind of environment.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »
I used to use fun things like when my parents yelled at me I'd calmly point out the logical fallacies of their argument.  Something like "because I said so" can be retorted using "ipse dixit!"

Been too long, though.  I'm not nearly as impartially logical as I was in the past.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 01:00:12 AM »
Its geometric to time because the fact that it was remembered means that information from the previous time is contained still, and still apart of the system. THis is waht Im trying to get at. Take for example this following simpler scenario:

You have a small child that's hungry, a table and an apple. Those are three facts which are seperable, the three bodies are not the same and have different information in each. If the chidl decides to let the fruit sit wihtout eating it, the fruit will rot and regardless of the decision made the information of the apple changes because of entropy. The child can slow or quicken this entropy by its own information or using another object in this imaginary room. The amount of information contained in this room over the period of T time, is I^T. Why? Well its because each piece of information grows exponentialy to time because as time progresses more information is created (thats not saying matter is created). The amount of information is easily time1*time2*time3 since 1*2*3 would 6, and the amount of information between any object and another is always duplicated by the fact that it has a history which can be observed, so the amount of information in the same space grows exponetially to the amount of time observed and not observed. Also in theoretical geometry the 4th dimension is raised to the power of time, assuming that time could be an axis of perspective which is considerably possible given the fact that humans have quite capable minds. And I dont have any hard facts to back this, but neither does the string theory. Anyways, fun discussion. The thing you pointed to Nums would be what I refer to as Modular thought, meaning anything can be said to mean anything through translation. Which basically means I've wasted everyone's time but nonetheless it was meant to get ppl to think about abstract ideas, like assigning information values. And dinosaurs I thought broke down into fossil fuels, along with plant matter; and moose havent made us to much fuel I dont think lol.

Aby.. wow... If I understood that, I'm crazy...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 02:13:25 AM »
Just because something is increasing doesn't mean it has to be exponential.  That's my point.  Why can't it be F = kt, where F is facts, t is time, and k is some constant?  So one second from now there'll be exactly k more facts in the universe then there were before.

Offline abyaly

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 07:57:29 AM »
Aby.. wow... If I understood that, I'm crazy...
Crazy? No. It's just that your way of deciding whether or not an idea is a good one is very different from mine. This makes it hard for me to agree with most of the things you say.