Author Topic: NSIS-based installer  (Read 13338 times)

Offline goffrie

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:38 PM »
I was thinking of having a separate executable which would try to fetch a new version installed  as part of the package, although maybe re-running the installer might be better concerning code duplication. It is definitely possible to have the installer provide an option to update a current installation.

Actually, thinking about it, it might be even better to turn the uninstaller into one of those modify/remove things and provide an option to update. This way you wouldn't have to keep the original installer, just the installed package. Seems pretty counter-intuitive though.

Offline goffrie

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »
I seemed to have missed this post  
Quote from: Numsgil
When I first started the simulation, I still get an empty sim.  This might not be an issue with the installer but with the exe.  I'm not sure.
I don't include a saved .sim, just some .set files. I don't think the program supports automatically starting settings files.
Hitting F1 and then start new started up a proper sim (this is what the program should do automatically in my mind).
I think it should prompt, in case your old .set happened to have some really long bots (*cough* Guardian *cough*) and you don't want it to take a really long time parsing the bots.
The mutation rates could do with some tweaking (way too high at present).
I think there's a bug with loading the option "Disable All Mutations". Mutation rates are loaded though.
I had some difficulty loading new settings (kept reverting to my old settings), but that might be an issue with the program and not the installer or the settings.  The uninstaller seemed to work just fine, so no issues there.
Loading the settings seems to work for me...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Quote from: goffrie
When I first started the simulation, I still get an empty sim.  This might not be an issue with the installer but with the exe.  I'm not sure.
I don't include a saved .sim, just some .set files. I don't think the program supports automatically starting settings files.

It used to, but I think it was sort of forgotten about once the lastexit.sim thing was set up.  Eric'll have to look in to the code.

Hitting F1 and then start new started up a proper sim (this is what the program should do automatically in my mind).
I think it should prompt, in case your old .set happened to have some really long bots (*cough* Guardian *cough*) and you don't want it to take a really long time parsing the bots.

Yes, definately agree.

The mutation rates could do with some tweaking (way too high at present).
I think there's a bug with loading the option "Disable All Mutations". Mutation rates are loaded though.
I had some difficulty loading new settings (kept reverting to my old settings), but that might be an issue with the program and not the installer or the settings.  The uninstaller seemed to work just fine, so no issues there.
Loading the settings seems to work for me...

Eric'll need to look at these, too.  I'll write up some proper bug reports if I have time.

Offline Jarbon

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
This installer is a good idea it is much improved over the 2.1 installer which is ready for greener pastures. I suggest a few changes to the setting for animal minimalis evolution. Number one the field is set too big, animal minimalis is not well designed for such a field as big as the one set by default and most of the time it just sits around and gets boring. Number two is that you need to add costs or the whole simulation will grind to a halt with population bloat. While this isn't that hard for someone who has ran sims before, it may become a problem for the beginners who I would expect to use this setting. All around I think the installer is quite good.

I believe I encountered the same bug as numsgil with the settings reverting to the previous settings I'm not sure how that will effect the validity of my suggestions.

Offline goffrie

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »
New installer for 2.43.1m. Nothing new really.

Note: Doesn't automatically uninstall a previous version, so either uninstall first or install over the previous version.
[attachment=991:Darwin_setup.exe]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:33:44 PM by goffrie »

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »
He, the installer doesn't seem to work well on school-computers, I can't register anything.  

Probably I need admin-rights.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »
Maybe we should set up a DB "install" that has everything in a single folder so you can dump it on a thumbstick

Offline goffrie

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
NSIS-based installer
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »
Yep, you need admin rights because the installer needs into install a bunch of DLLs and register them.

About installing in a folder... seems like a good idea except that I don't know if VB will allow that.