Author Topic: Crows are pretty damn smart  (Read 46661 times)

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Crows are pretty damn smart
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »
And the answer of the Crow: Food over there!

Offline asterixx

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »
Why is a raven like a writing desk?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:09:08 PM by asterixx »
"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you.  Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure."

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »
Quote from: Peter
Let start the war with the crow.

I'll join the crows in the battle then!  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
Quote from: Testlund

You do realze taht according to this post, the crow only knows everything about how to find and keep food... So I dont see the crow looking for something if its not worth hunting, and I say we use the Eagle, as its much larger and smarter than a crow.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
Quote from: gymsum

You do realze taht according to this post, the crow only knows everything about how to find and keep food... So I dont see the crow looking for something if its not worth hunting, and I say we use the Eagle, as its much larger and smarter than a crow.

Well they're certainly larger, but I haven't seen anything (research or personal experience) which would indicate that they're smarter.  You're not making up things and passing them off as facts again, are you?

I'll side with Testlund and the crows in the upcoming war of species attrition.  Humans might be smarter, but crows have that whole "we don't need to ever touch the ground" thing going for them.  So they have air and ground combat abilities even before I equip the crow army with rocket packs and laser guns.  

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2008, 11:54:49 PM »
We got crows and eagles (bald and golden) by the truckload here in the PNW.  Eagles are good at fishing, but otherwise they're not that bright.  I've seen a couple of crows hound an eagle and steal its food dozens of times.  Last summer, I saw an eagle taking bites out of a wounded baby harbour seal on a beach in the San Jaun Islands.  The seal probably got nicked by a boat prop.   Mommy seal lumberred over to baby, barking aggressivly at the eagle the whole time.  It didn't pay any attention until mommy got close enough to bite it and shred a wing so bad it couldn't fly.    If a 200 pound barking harbor seal can sneak up on you on a beach, you ain't the brightest bird in the aviary.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Quote from: EricL
If a 200 pound barking harbor seal can sneak up on you on a beach, you ain't the brightest bird in the aviary.

You got that right. How many times haven't we seen magpies teasing cats knowing how to keep the perfect distance to manage to fly away just in time. They're not crows though but belongs to the same group of birds. Maybe crows tease cats too, I don't know. I say just the ability to adapt to a human created environment got to be a sign of intelligence, because human development have happend to short a time to be a genetic adaption from animals.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:02:03 AM by Testlund »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »
Maybe we can expect something like this in the near future. Hehe.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2TKSZDWqIA...feature=related

Offline ikke

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2008, 11:20:40 AM »
I say just the ability to adapt to a human created environment got to be a sign of intelligence, because human development have happend to short a time to be a genetic adaption from animals.
If you refer to the video you linked yes.. otherwise there are two flaws:
a) you assume a human created environment requires fundamental adaptation. This is not necessarily true. Falcons have started to live in mid city, coming from the forest edge. The fundamentals of their ecosystem (from their point of view) may not be all that different: they need high safe places to breed, and enough prey in striking distance. A ridge of a building with pidgeons feeding of city scrap qualifies as well as a tree and a field with mice. Maybe even better as the first more and more takes over from the second.
B ) Don't underestimate the power (and speed) of evolution. Darwin's Dreampond: Drama in Lake Victoria by Tijs Goldschmidt describes (amongst other things) the collapse of an ecosystem and ends with signs of recovery by evolutionary adaptation

Edit The difference between  and B ) is
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:22:22 AM by ikke »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »
It's also interesting to note the effects of domestication.  Generally speaking, when animals are domesticated, they tend to develop neoteny, that is, they keep juvenile characteristics in to adult hood.  eg: dogs with floppy ears and cute faces.  A diminished intelligence seems to go along with that in some cases. (There's a funny farside comic about this, actually.  With wolves commenting that their friends doppy expression and blank stare must mean he's been domesticated).

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
I'll side with Testlund and the crows in the upcoming war of species attrition.  Humans might be smarter, but crows have that whole "we don't need to ever touch the ground" thing going for them.  So they have air and ground combat abilities even before I equip the crow army with rocket packs and laser guns.  
Traitors, indeed that "we don't need to ever touch the ground" thingy combined with the fact they are all the word is a little problematic, how can you effective defeat them.

I'll side with the humans(I tend to belong to that specie, so I choose tio side with them) looking for a possible cooperation with the dolpins, crows can't get us underwater(I hope).

Now I will figure out how to confince the dophins to become a ally of ours, before the crow army gets them, or did they.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2008, 02:08:42 PM »
What do you say, Nums? Shall we recruit some killer whales to counter Peter's dolphins?  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:09:16 PM by Testlund »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
Sure.  We'll promise to let them eat their trainers first.  All that "jump, shamoo, jump" crap probably gets old real fast.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
Nums, I would never attempt to pass on fabricated information as fact. ANd as for the pseudo-science related post of John  Rife, my data cannot be posted for legality; we had lab certification but no medical backing, and the research is actually a violation of federal law without a medical certificate (or license). Thats not to say theres no effect, my animal pound uses Ifrared lamps for some sort of thearopy, not that I believe it..

Mice are the number most intelligent speices around, so I say go with them, as they are pandimensional.

Offline Trafalgar

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2008, 10:58:12 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
It would be a remarkable coincidence for us to be in the center of the universe, given that Earth could have been anywhere in the universe, so that idea didn't catch on.  Instead we assume that all points in the universe are moving away from all other points.

Of course, you realize, if God created the universe and Earth, and made it the only home of intelligent life, and communicated part of the history of creation in a very confusing and trippy LSD-like fashion, the most likely place for Earth to be would be the center of the Universe, would it not?