Author Topic: Path/file error  (Read 4962 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
This error is suddenly an issue for me. After switching to 2.43.1L, I've had three crashes within a couple of hours. Re-starting error.sim loads and runs OK.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Can you tell me exactly what the error is, how it presents itself and when it occurs?  Also and suspicions e.g. do you think it has somehtign to do with veggy repop?  IF it just happens randomly while runnign a sim, could you upload the sim?  Thanks.
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:44:13 AM »
Maybe this is what caused my sim to hang and all population files to get removed, because a few of you had switched to 2.43.1L. I found my sim totally frozen this morning (permanent freeze until several minutes after I quitted IM).

..unless Eric just switched off the server for a while.

I'll switch to 2.43.1L too and see if I get the crash Shvarz mensioned.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »
Not sure on why this happens. It's not re-population, because the number of veggies is high enough so that re-population should not happen. Error sounds something like: "Error. File/path access error. Darwinbots will now close". I don't remember exactly, if I see it again - I'll write it down. DB closes pretty cleanly - saves error.sim and quits, no process is left running in the background. Re-starting error.sim works.  I'm attaching the most recent error.sim here.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 11:06:11 AM »
You placed the 2.43.1L executable into the darwinbots directory, right?  

Are you using autosave for bots or sims?  

You have Transfers sub directory I assume for IM?

Tryign to think of what file access goes on whiel running a sim...  Probably a function of IM files being move about....
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 11:39:09 AM »
Yes, I placed DB.exe into the DB folder
I'm using autosave for sims. I'm saving every couple of hours and keeping the last 10 saves. It worked fine till now.
I have a local folder where I teleport bots in and out. It's pretty full now, reaching ~1200 bots.
I don't know how IM works,  I used all the default settings, just changed my username. I'm running a sim now without IM to see if I still get an error.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »
Quote from: shvarz
I have a local folder where I teleport bots in and out. It's pretty full now, reaching ~1200 bots.
I suspect this may be it.  There may be issues with file operations for teleporters when they have this many bots in limbo.  I only tested relatively real-time teleporters...
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's IM.  I just ran the sim off-line for about 1.5 hrs and it was fine. I switched IM on and got a crash within 5 minutes. Unlikely coincidence.
Darn!  I forgot to write down the error message. I'll be back in 5 minutes

Update: What do you know... It's been running for the last hour in IM with no crashes...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:51:11 PM by shvarz »

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »
Well, it took five hours to crash, but crash it did. The error message is: "Error. Path/file access error. Saving sim in saves directory as error.sim"

I was in IM at the time of crash.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Yep, I'm pretty sure it's the IM.  I ran the sim off-line all day today and there were no crashes. 5 minutes ago I turned on the IM and the program crashed.
For me it really started with the L version, I saw nothing like that in K.

Upd: Crashed again, within 5 min of IM. Would it help to turn off the teleporters to the local folder as a control experiment?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:50:04 PM by shvarz »

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »
I have some crashes sometimes with the L version as well when I turn on IM.  K version works fine.  Not something I can always reproduce, though, and reloading the error.sim lets the program run fine.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 07:00:14 PM by Numsgil »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »
There were very few changes from K to L and none in IM (that were intentional).  Hmmm....  I don't seem to be seeing the same crash myself - my IM sims run for days...  It could indeed be some interaction between IM and the local teleporter.  Yea, try runnign in IM withotu the local teleporter and see if it makes a difference.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:21:26 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
My error wasn't a path/file thing, BTW, it was an actual overflow.  It was also a brand new install on my work PC, so it might have something to do with settings files, startup sims, etc.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »
This is unrelated, but I had trouble with making custom simulation costs, and downloaded the needed dll (msstdfmt) to make this work. Does anyone know where to stick it?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Path/file error
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »
Never mind, just fixed it.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan