Author Topic: Energy bug again RESOLVED 2.43.1L  (Read 2980 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Energy bug again RESOLVED 2.43.1L
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:19:41 PM »
OK Eric, I know that last time you told me that total energy in the sim value is not going to be accurate and may still increase when sun is down because the energy in waste is not counted properly. But what I see is surely more than error in counting energy - the sun gor turned off when energy reached 4.1M. Since then the energy reached 6.1M  - see the saved sim. The sim is still running and now it's at 6.5M.  I suspect there is another bug somewhere - do check it out, pls.
Upd: It's ove 10M now!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:06:46 PM by EricL »
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »
Okay, there's a complex free waste production loop involving poison shots that can result in free waste production and thus free nrg for veggies.

Your veggies are very poisionious.   They are shooting each other with nrg feeding shots (which cost nothing in your sim) but the shot doesn't get through the poison ( so no nrg is actually lost from either the shot or the impact).  Instead, they release posion shots (which target .shoot, re-inforcing the loop).  They loose poison when they shoot it, but because theye are conspecs, they gain it back from each other when the shots impact.   Waste is produced when a posion shot is generated (for some reason predating me) and your veggies are turning this free waste into free nrg.  

I'm inclined to simply not have waste produced when a poison shot is fired.  Waste is already produced as a result of manufactoring poison (as it should be).  Inorder for there to be conservation of nrg in a sim, waste must be thought of as a form of converted nrg and therefor only be produced as a side effect of some action that consumes nrg.  Shooting a poison shot consumes poison, but not nrg.  Yes, it takes nrg to make poison, but waste was already produced when that happened and in the case of conspecs, that posion is not necessarily lost to the system.  Producing waste both when poison is made and when it is fired is double taxation magic production.  

So, bottom line, producing waste as side effect of shooting poision (as opposed to making it) violates the principle of conservation of nrg, especially when conspecs are involved and the posion is not lost to the system.

Fixed in 2.43.1L.  Waste is no longer produced as a side effect of shooting poison.  Only as a consequence of making it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:21:07 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »
Nice, that's one less bug!

I feel kind of bad for these bots. There they were, figuring out the best ways to get energy and now we come in and take it away   Imagine if some higher beings come in and say: "Burning oil and coal to get energy? We never intended for THAT to happen, it's just a bug!" And next day we can still burn oil and coal, but no energy is coming out
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »
I have a whole list of other breaking bugs that they should get to before that whole oil and coal thing.