Author Topic: Expanding Energy types  (Read 6282 times)

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
One thing which stands true to nature but not DB, is a true energy and waste balance. While it is impossible to bring absolute realism to the game, there should be a way to add a new energy type available only to the veggies that convert energy or waste into this new type. The new type is waste to heterotrophs, but can be absorbed via tie feeding of shoot to build a tougher shell and stronger durable ties that allow for fater feeding rates and faster memory useage, proportionally that is.

Minerals were brought up earlier, I could see how they could be a poinson or even form of general waste to a heteroptroph, since they never really leave the body IRL and they collect and eventually cause death (such as lead). I say introduce a new element to the environment to imrpove multibot communications, but its a heavier resource meaning it slows bots down and makes them heavier. The benefit is they can perform better decisions and feed more efficiently with eachother.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:46:52 AM »
Maybe a thing to add to DB3, I think DBII is only fixing errors and minor things at the moment.
Don't veggies recycle waste anyway?
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:31:20 AM »
Quote from: gymsum
One thing which stands true to nature but not DB, is a true energy and waste balance. While it is impossible to bring absolute realism to the game, there should be a way to add a new energy type available only to the veggies that convert energy or waste into this new type. The new type is waste to heterotrophs, but can be absorbed via tie feeding of shoot to build a tougher shell and stronger durable ties that allow for fater feeding rates and faster memory useage, proportionally that is.

Minerals were brought up earlier, I could see how they could be a poinson or even form of general waste to a heteroptroph, since they never really leave the body IRL and they collect and eventually cause death (such as lead). I say introduce a new element to the environment to imrpove multibot communications, but its a heavier resource meaning it slows bots down and makes them heavier. The benefit is they can perform better decisions and feed more efficiently with eachother.

What would this gain except an unnecessary complexity? You can already get faster feeding rates by storing a larger value in .shootval or .tieval. Memory usage is hard coded to be one run throught dna per cycle. How do you propose that this would be changed?

As for improving multibot communications, I think that's going to be implemented. Trefvals are going to be populated everytime .readtie changes. That'd allow communication with multiple bots through ties in one cycle.

Quote from: bacillus
Maybe a thing to add to DB3, I think DBII is only fixing errors and minor things at the moment.
Don't veggies recycle waste anyway?

According to EricL's todo-list, there will be new features in DBII, fixing bugs and other things just takes higher priority. Linky.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »
I thought tie feeding was limited to tieval -1000?

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »
Eric pretty much implements new features as he likes for DB2, which is usually a good thing since it brings the program closer to what I want to do in DB3.  We usually agree on adding new features.  If/when he thinks DB3 is a better base than the current DB2, he'll probably freeze DB2 and help me finish DB3.  But DB3 will probably need to be fairly feature complete at or before that time.

Anyway, to the discussion at hand.  Gymsum, you're concept of biology seems less grounded in, well, biology, and more in those infomercials that play at 3 AM ("are you having a bowel movement 30 minutes after you eat?  You're supposed to!  It must be those toxins running around in your body.  By placing this piece of paper on your foot every night, you can draw out those toxins for a cleaner life!  Only 4 easy payments of 29.99").  Even the current concept of waste is fairly... artificial.

However, my idea for DB3 was to have bots eat bits off of shapes to create nests and so forth.  I think this is something Eric wants to tackle as well at some point.  If/when that happens, I would recommend using the substance that breaks off of shapes as the raw material to form shell with, or anything else that needs a concept of inorganic raw material.  I was thinking of calling it "Hard", but that probably could get confusing, so we can call it pretty much whatever we want (I'm not a fan of "mineral" though).  Have bots have to poop it out after digging, and give it a certain amount of volume and mass.  As for increasing tie strength... the strength of a tie is somewhat limited by what the physics engine can handle.  Ties that are too strong will cause bots to vibrate chaotically.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »
I'm not talking based on an infomercial, I'm going based on reality. What allows for things like crabs to build a shell? Minerals and protein, the protein dries up and the minerals form a hard shell. This idea had nothing to do with imrpoving bot health, but rather implementing a system whihc allow bots to use elemnts to create tools.

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »
I thought tie feeding was limited to tieval -1000?
Indeed.

Quote from: Numsgil
Eric pretty much implements new features as he likes for DB2, which is usually a good thing since it brings the program closer to what I want to do in DB3.  We usually agree on adding new features.  If/when he thinks DB3 is a better base than the current DB2, he'll probably freeze DB2 and help me finish DB3.  But DB3 will probably need to be fairly feature complete at or before that time.
Hmm, he is inproving DBII further and further. You're making a new DB almost from scratch. Well, why would you think DBIII would become better than the second version. I would think that by the time you finished DBIII, DBII would already become a lot better. There is probably a clear reason, but I sense a competition between DBII and DBIII, witch one will become better.

Anyway, to the discussion at hand.  Gymsum, you're concept of biology seems less grounded in, well, biology, and more in those infomercials that play at 3 AM ("are you having a bowel movement 30 minutes after you eat?  You're supposed to!  It must be those toxins running around in your body.  By placing this piece of paper on your foot every night, you can draw out those toxins for a cleaner life!  Only 4 easy payments of 29.99").  Even the current concept of waste is fairly... artificial.
What is a 'bowel of movement' anyway?

To make a waste system that would be accurate with nature, you would need an complicated one. I could come into the way that a bot could be killed by a copper-shortage or too much water.  Both happens in realily too.

However, my idea for DB3 was to have bots eat bits off of shapes to create nests and so forth.  I think this is something Eric wants to tackle as well at some point.  If/when that happens, I would recommend using the substance that breaks off of shapes as the raw material to form shell with, or anything else that needs a concept of inorganic raw material.  I was thinking of calling it "Hard", but that probably could get confusing, so we can call it pretty much whatever we want (I'm not a fan of "mineral" though).  Have bots have to poop it out after digging, and give it a certain amount of volume and mass.  As for increasing tie strength... the strength of a tie is somewhat limited by what the physics engine can handle.  Ties that are too strong will cause bots to vibrate chaotically.
Hmm.....
Yes, now my bots will build a castle from ''ít'' this way they will be protected by other bots, they can will breed veggies without being disturbed. Without attackers they will study computer science, escape out of darwinbots, use my computer as their international base to conquer the world.

Anyway, sounds well. Also something in the mind of elements and sources the bots are needed specifially to do stuff. Like calcium for shell or nitroglycerin to blow up the sim. I can remember something of it, it is already on the to do list, right. Wasn't it even planned for DB way before I was a member of this forum. I can remember something of a grid or something.
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 03:11:54 PM »
I was specifically referring to the first sentence of your second paragraph.  Otherwise I agree that it would be nice to enrich the interactions of a bot with its environment.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 03:20:28 PM »
Quote from: Peter
Hmm, he is inproving DBII further and further. You're making a new DB almost from scratch. Well, why would you think DBIII would become better than the second version. I would think that by the time you finished DBIII, DBII would already become a lot better. There is probably a clear reason, but I sense a competition between DBII and DBIII, witch one will become better.

Sort of fitting that there could be competing versions

My focus on DB3 is primarily on physics.  My goal is to build a physical system that is more robust than the present one, allowing for complex multibots to do things like swim around using squid-like jet propulsion, or fish undulating movements, and allow a stack of dead veggy corpses at the bottom of the sim without causing a veggy tornado .  There are a whole bunch of other things too, mostly small things that will make life easier.  I also get to make breaking changes that Eric may not be at liberty to do.

What is a 'bowel of movement' anyway?

Taking a crap.

To make a waste system that would be accurate with nature, you would need an complicated one. I could come into the way that a bot could be killed by a copper-shortage or too much water.  Both happens in realily too.

It's a balance.  Darwinbots should represent an idealized, abstracted form of reality.  Make it too simple and it's boring, but make it too complex and it's unwieldy.

Anyway, sounds well. Also something in the mind of elements and sources the bots are needed specifially to do stuff. Like calcium for shell or nitroglycerin to blow up the sim. I can remember something of it, it is already on the to do list, right. Wasn't it even planned for DB way before I was a member of this forum. I can remember something of a grid or something.

It was talked about a lot but nothing really came of it, because of performance issues mostly.  Although I think shapes are a good first step.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 02:11:49 AM »
Maybe having shots decay shapes and being able to tie to them would be a way to approach the problem without entierly changing the current code.
Notice the bad pun?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:13:01 AM by bacillus »
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 08:14:48 AM »
Then how about adding the two essientals of ponds, oxygen, and hydrogen? It seems like bots should sufficate wihtout the pressence of veggies.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
I've played around with the idea of gaia-like forces like that.  Chemical interdependence where the veggies need the animals to live and vice-versa.  However I think this creates too tight of a coupling.  Interdependence on this level is a planet wide phenomena.  It doesn't really factor in to the evaluation of an individual ecosystem.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
The deal is you need a catylist. Either a flamable naturally occuring substance or an external synthetic function. Oxygen allows the sugars (or nrg) to be burned and used to produce kinetic. So to say that life might develop without a catalyst is to deny the exsistance of DB; or in other words, without a catalyst we've crweated a simulation not mimicing life. It seems that Evolution made a simple system whereby an organism of some compound base can have a toxic/poisonous element. The entire symbiotic system created between plants and animals on Earth is extremely vital to the entire basis of the chemistry and physics we are composed of. In Carbon-Based forms oxygen works for burning the carbon, and our poison is Argon; with Nitrogen-based organisms the poison would be Selinium. If you use the elemental # designated by the Periodic Table, the equation for poisonous elemnts becomes wrapped around the elemental base-type of that organism. This has to do with chemical interactions and quantum mechanics.

There is a way to combine both our ideas, but it means making a complex system for elemental interactions at a genetic level. I suppose any organism can appear from any inert gas because of its stability as an element, and ability to compound with others like it. Some thought is needed to decide how this will work, but for simplicity I say use a complete ratio conversion from Evolution, or create a defaulted system using either system.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »
The deal is you need a catylist. Either a flamable naturally occuring substance or an external synthetic function. Oxygen allows the sugars (or nrg) to be burned and used to produce kinetic. So to say that life might develop without a catalyst is to deny the exsistance of DB; or in other words, without a catalyst we've crweated a simulation not mimicing life.

Erm...  Let's just say that life works with an energy gradient.  (Early life didn't use oxygen at all, it used sulfer.  You just need an electron donor and an electron receiver.)  It performs some action to something, and is able to extract useful work from it.  What that action and the something are is a seperate question from what the life does with that useful work.  Darwinbots presently ignores the first part and just concentrates on the second.  That is, it just models behavioral evolution.  So the question is wether the program should also model that first part, the how of things, and if you need to simulate the how in order to say you're simulating life.

It seems that Evolution made a simple system whereby an organism of some compound base can have a toxic/poisonous element.

I think our susceptibility to harm from heavy (and not so heavy) metals has less to do with our chemical base and more to do with the abundance of the heavy metals.  If arsenic was a common element at the beginning of life, the whole ATP citric acid cycle wouldn't have developed in the first place.  Or it might have evolved to rely on arsenic.  You especially should not treat it like...

In Carbon-Based forms oxygen works for burning the carbon, and our poison is Argon; with Nitrogen-based organisms the poison would be Selinium. If you use the elemental # designated by the Periodic Table, the equation for poisonous elemnts becomes wrapped around the elemental base-type of that organism. This has to do with chemical interactions and quantum mechanics.

...that.  Very wrong.  Well, it's wrong first in that you're doing that whole pseudo-science wrap-around-on-the-periodic-table wrong.  I assume you're referring to that thing from the movie Evolution, where they kill the nitrogen based organisms with selenium because arsenic is poisonous to us (carbon based).  It doesn't work like that.  The periodic table is not a chess board and it does not follow that patterns on the periodic table will hold for other biochemistries.  On top of that, I sincerely doubt that nitrogen will ever be the base for any biochemistry.  It's just too boring for a base.  Nitrogen and phosphorus maybe... Silicon has been suggested, too...  But for the most part our carbon chemistry is the "best" choice for our given temperature and pressure environment.  See wikipedia.

There is a way to combine both our ideas, but it means making a complex system for elemental interactions at a genetic level. I suppose any organism can appear from any inert gas because of its stability as an element, and ability to compound with others like it. Some thought is needed to decide how this will work, but for simplicity I say use a complete ratio conversion from Evolution, or create a defaulted system using either system.

You could indeed make an alife sim that worked by simulating simple chemistry.  I've seen a few papers that explored that route.  However remember the scale that biochemistry works on.  It took billions of years for the oxygen catastrophe to slowly push biochemistry towards the more energetic oxygen.  It's a neat phenomena, but it's a planet wide phenomena.  For any ecosystem that's even relatively plausible to simulate, you have something that isn't a closed system.  What comes in does not exactly balance what goes out.  Most attempts by humans to create a biosphere smaller than the earth (for example the project "Biosphere" in the desert), have failed.  Gaian principles require an extremely large sample size to remain stable.  In, say, the last billion years of evolution (which covers all multicellular life), the core biochemistry has not changed at all.  And considering it's hard enough to create stability as it is, I don't think we should add something that could add one more dimension that needs to be balanced for a successful simulation.

All it gains is extra ways for things to not work.  A successful biochem sim would work exactly like the present simulation does.  An unsuccessful sim would kill off all life in your simulation.  Usually features should add something that increases the complexity of possible behaviors.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:48:38 PM by Numsgil »

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Expanding Energy types
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
You are starting to push on entropy; as the material changes form, the mass is unevenly disturbed and less of certain compoudns remain over others. Large amounts would infact give some stability, but mostly it has to do with how this complexity is implimented. If you wanted an organism that used sulfur to breathe, it could be developed for sulfuric conditions; to make it breathe air or some easy compound you doul make it defaulted. I don't think we need the chemistry to be simulated so much, as the result.

If the Sulfur-Dependent creature went into an environment which produced less sulfur, its species would suffer as a result. So this sort of mechanism has its uses for simulation purposes of life, and not so much on a chemistry level. Perhaps even leaving this process to be bio-synthetic of bots or veggies. As more forms of waste? I could see a balance system for a cost multiplier that used chemical levels to determine costs; essentially the lack of a genetically-linked element requires more energy to conduct regular functions. The entire reactions of the chemicals while the bot lives is completely genetic, as that is DNA; the reactions afterwards are pretty basic even if you use Chemistry formulas, its all mostly proportionate to the system. I say just make some basic system that emulates the results to within 20% of IRL results. But it isnt necessary since we want more stability than realism, because the laws of physics dictates a constant and continuous flux in instability and chaos.