Author Topic: Tie-Feeding  (Read 3938 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Tie-Feeding
« on: May 05, 2008, 01:38:45 AM »
I found this out while playing around with Singula Haloculus yesterday. Just like -1 shots can be used to feed off nrg and -6 shots to feed off body, the same can be done with putting -6 into .tieloc. I'm not sure it's more efficient, but they had no other way of getting nrg and were doing quite well.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Tie-Feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »
It depends... on the abundance of food, on your bot, if you're running an evo sim or a league... lots of stuff...
I usualy use tiefeeding with small bots (Using the counter leech trick, forcing the oponent to try to leech you while you counter it).
So in that case it's better to only take energy since you can stay small while feeding. Locust grows according to population size and actualy starts off using only -1 but once a certain population is reached it starts to drain nrg down to about 1200 energy and then switches to -6, to try and make the most of the alge (And it's a fast way of increasing the average bot size)
But it can be usefull in other ways, if a large bot is attacked by a tie from a small bot you can eat it's body real fast (I think)...
Anyway it's quite usefull... but I think this is mentioned on the sysvars page... maybe not... should be
You can also share other things than energy and such... anyway the sysvar and operator pages often have good tips and such, I know a lot of links don't say much, but some of them do have some extra information that can be worth checking out...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Tie-Feeding
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 06:21:51 PM »
A quick note: I'm not sure how tie feeding with body works, but with shots, the nrg shot you get back from either -1 or -6 works the same.  -6 shots feed from body, but like all nrg shots they return something like 90% of their payload as nrg and 10% as body.  Meaning you can -6 feed on something and not gain more body than you would if you -1 fed on it, depending on the net nrg you actually get.

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Tie-Feeding
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:58:27 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
A quick note: I'm not sure how tie feeding with body works, but with shots, the nrg shot you get back from either -1 or -6 works the same.  -6 shots feed from body, but like all nrg shots they return something like 90% of their payload as nrg and 10% as body.  Meaning you can -6 feed on something and not gain more body than you would if you -1 fed on it, depending on the net nrg you actually get.

yeah, I did a -6 tie feed and got no result.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Tie-Feeding
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 02:32:12 AM »
How did you do it? Maybe you're using an older version or misset the tieloc/tieval or something like that.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline gymsum

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Tie-Feeding
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:06:16 AM »
-6 .tieloc store
-1000 .tieval store

Also was using version J

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Tie-Feeding
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 02:56:31 AM »
Well, I had a bot whose only source of food was body tie feeding and they were swarming the sim. Also using 2.43.1j.
- Carl Sagan