Author Topic: Interface suggestion  (Read 2781 times)

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Interface suggestion
« on: April 07, 2005, 08:15:29 PM »
Here is what I was thinking about when I said that current interface can be simplified:

All options about the physical state of the world should be moved to one screen within options and presented in terms that are obvious and relate to our normal experience.

So the "World" section would include:

1) World size (already there, but we can add custom names like "droplet", "puddle", "pond", "ocean")
2) World type - toroidal, non-toroidal (already there).  "Toroidal" should disable gravity by default (but can be turned back in advance options)
3) World media with 5 options
   - space
   - air
   - water
   - earth surface
   - earth soil
4) Size of organisms with 5 options:
   - bacteria
   - eukaryotic cell
   - dust mite (not sure what else is the size of ~400 micrometers)
   - insect
   - animal

3) and 4) together should automatically assign values to "friction", "brownian motion"  and "movement factor" (I have a proposed table in excel, can share).  It should be possible to assign these things manually, but only in advanced options.

5) Gravity.  Several choices like "space", "Moon", "Earth", "Jupiter"

6) Other related stuff, like "Day/Night", "Boyuancy"

7) Instead of "Pondmode" have a more general "Sideways view/Top-bottom view".  With "Top-bottom" automatically disabling gravity.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Interface suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 08:47:10 PM »
This would seem to involve nested menues if I read you correctly.  I'm not exactly sure how to do this (I could just make some new forms and load them through the options panel, but I suspect there might be a better way).  I'll look into the logistics.

Offline shvarz

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Interface suggestion
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 12:17:17 AM »
Yes, the idea is to have only basic and easy-to-follow controls on the surface and anything more advanced in, well... "Advanced options".
"Never underestimate the power of stupid things in big numbers" - Serious Sam

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Interface suggestion
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 12:38:08 AM »
if we add the astronomy stuff all the gravity stuff would be in that section
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA