Author Topic: Different areas in one simulation  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Different areas in one simulation
« on: March 25, 2005, 11:50:30 AM »
Hi,

After reading the astronomy idea, I got an idea for implementing different areas in one simulation, connected by tunnels (like the internet sharing tunnel).

With different fields one can simulate different areas. This can be done with larger size simulations, but: It is difficult to oversee a large sim; it gets chaotic.

As to overseeing the different areas, a 'tab system' similar to Firefox (an internet browser) could be used.

What do you think?

Henk  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 09:16:38 AM by Henk »

Offline Botsareus

• Society makes it all backwards - there is a good reason for that
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 11:54:47 AM »
Get 10 computers , Get a hub , Semulate all the tunnels you want with Internet Sharing...

Thats How 'Bots, Inc' works. (I still have no idea what they do with 10 computers , just gessing)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 12:05:50 PM »
Running 'levels' within the same simulation could be really interesting.  It wouldn't be hard to modify the internet sharing code to work on seperate instances of the same simulation within the program.

Definately makes keeping tabs on large simulations possible. (<- I made a pun :P)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 12:06:00 PM by Numsgil »

Offline Zelos

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 01:12:29 PM »
if you want different areas, you can simply add areas where you have alot of Fe or S or light whit some tools numsgil could add. then the line between them is where its get to little of each one.
When I have the eclipse cannon under my control there is nothing that can stop me from ruling the world. And I wont stop there. I will never stop conquering worlds through the universe. All the worlds in the universe will belong to me. All the species in on them will be my slaves. THE ENIRE UNIVERSE WILL BELONG TO ME AND EVERYTHING IN IT :evil: AND THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE OF you CAN DO TO STOP ME. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline PurpleYouko

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 01:24:42 PM »
Right

Build a wall of coral or something with a small gap for the odd robot to get through but which won't allow very much diffusion through the grid and there you go, niches.

Make a whole maze this way if you like. Full of rooms with different sources and sinks. Get a net flow along coridoors of different things in different directions.

Once this e-grid is fully functioanl the sky is the limit.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary.
and those who don't

:D PY :D

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »
Running 'levels' within the same simulation could be really interesting.  It wouldn't be hard to modify the internet sharing code to work on seperate instances of the same simulation within the program.
One word: Network sharing.

I don't know how the current internet sharing is done (FTP?), but if TCP/IP is introduced, sharing would be alot easier. I don't know if it's easy to implement, but what about Microsoft's DirectPlay?

I've googled it a bit...
Extensive DirectPlay tutorial
A wiki on it (I know you want it, Num :P )

Henk  :)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 09:24:59 AM »
Direct Play could work.  Wouldn't be horrible to implement.  Still means you need a server of some kind.  All of my computers are stuck behind so many LAN's it's amazing they ever see the light of day.

Is anyone's computer able to host TCP/IP games?  The ones that don't use battle.net I mean.  LAN's work by allowing computers inside to address computers outside the LAN, but not vice versa.

If someone has a computer like that, it wouldn't be hard at all to create a server of kinds.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 09:44:33 AM »
Here, I made a program a while ago that will let you know if you are capable of hosting a TCP/IP connection.

It's a tic tac toe progam.  Find it here.  You would run the regular program while I ran the client.  If I can connect to you, then your computer can be a host.  If not...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 09:50:38 AM »
Another way to tell:

run ipconfig on your computer.  Most win systems have it.  Then google "what is my ip address".  If ipconfig and the rest of the internet disagree on your IP address, you probably can't host.

I, for instance, can't.

Offline Old Henk

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 08:18:06 AM »
It doesn't necceserally (yikes what a word(!)) have to be a Internet-sharing only option.

I have a network at home (not connected to the Internet), and I'd love to be able to use network sharing between them...

BTW; My computer can host TCP/IP but it's not available to me all day as it's a home computer used by the rest of the family also.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 08:18:58 AM by Henk »