Author Topic: The amazing Antbot  (Read 22825 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2008, 06:49:35 PM »
Quote from: Moonfisher
Just have each bot broadcast the last place it saw the queen and the time it saw it. So even if a bot is blocking your view you'll know the queen is on the other side. If the queen also uses epigenetics to transfer it's position no newborns any change in position should quickly be updated to all bots.
So basicaly if you see a bot with fresh information about the queen (If you have more than one queen just give it an ID or something, so they know they're from different hives) then update the information and broadcast that instead. And don't forget that the timer will reset at times, messing up your priority, you could either restrict updating of the queens position to information within a certain distance to the timer value you're holding or lots of other stuff like that.
But the point was moslty that it needs to be dynamic and less specific in it's behavior... if you can't find the queen or anyone to tell you where she is, then just roam around the area where you last saw it, if you still can't find it just go rogue and try to form a new hive, or join another hive if you want that to be possible...
But mainly what I ment was that if you know the queen is at X12,y123 and you just go to that spot and don't find it, it doesn't mean it's not around there somewhere and staring at that specific location won't help you find it... so to come up with a simple example, if you don't see the queen just accelerate towards the coordinate and disable turning, this way you'll shoot past the point, then after a short delay, adjust the angle to aim at the coordinates again and then lock rotation again once the distance to the location is below X.... this way you'll overshoot in random directions in the area you last saw the queen... that alone would increase chances of finding it...
Just saying that eratic confucing behavior can often hold a lot of advantages, even when fighting you can gain an advantage from having odd movement patters because the oponent will have a hard time following you in a fight.
But it's especialy usefull in this case where you loose track of something... then often the best way to find it is dumb luck.

This is what the current version does.

Quote from: jknilinux
Wait, I'm confused. Is it still a learning hydrozoan or is it going to be an antbot?

By the way, I have an idea- We could make an amoeboid that moves without using .up, .down etc... by using pseudopodia and increasing/decreasing tie length. When it finds algae, it surrounds them with its pseudopodia just like a real amoeba.
You can try if you want   . I already tried and failed miserably, I have no idea how tie physics works, what I do know is just certain patterns evolved from trial and error.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »
Quote from: bacillus
Quote from: jknilinux
Wait, I'm confused. Is it still a learning hydrozoan or is it going to be an antbot?

By the way, I have an idea- We could make an amoeboid that moves without using .up, .down etc... by using pseudopodia and increasing/decreasing tie length. When it finds algae, it surrounds them with its pseudopodia just like a real amoeba.
You can try if you want   . I already tried and failed miserably, I have no idea how tie physics works, what I do know is just certain patterns evolved from trial and error.

Could you post what you've done so far? Maybe I could run it in an evosim with voluntary movement disabled and let evolution take care of the rest.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2008, 11:47:26 PM »
scrapped it months ago, sorry.
I think Cranium is not going to work as well as I hoped it would, and seeing I have a short attention span and have unfinished projects all over the place, I'm focusing on rewriting an antbot I scrapped before my current version.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline jknilinux

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »
Well, even if you only have 5 and a half lines of code, it might still give me ideas.

And what are your plans for the new (old) antbot?

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2008, 12:13:15 AM »
Nothing fancy, really, and didn't work properly either; rather than the hive randomly collecting veggies, bots assign themselves to a veggie and ferry the nrg from one source.
- Carl Sagan

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 01:53:57 PM »
Regarding the amoeba: Some tie experiments that work with  a cyclus of contradiction and extension where as the start(generation 1) fixes when contradicting and the end(generation x) fixes when extending.
http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?...ost&id=1051
http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?...ost&id=1052

Oh and although it did not work out I will attach my try on building the amoeba, my thought was that an bot spotting food would send an impulse outward, the  strength(number) of the impulse would be increased with each "ring" around the starter bot these rings would then substitue for the generations used in the above bots.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
I know I've started on a multibot twice, but never got anywhere... (3 time if you count the time I only got to making the spread and ended up with fruitflies).
I'm not sure exactly how many of the things discussed have been implemented. (But since I'm not helping, I can't complain, I can only apreatiate all the stuff that has been done so far)
I know turning is problematic since the ties angle is relative to your aim, there was some talk about being able to unlock your aim and fix the tie relatively to the other ties.
Also when forming new ties it seems to modify the angle of your existing ties... so building complex shapes is pretty hard, generaly bots with more than 2 ties seemed very hard to get working.
And ofcourse you can only use one of your ties per cycle, making larger complex organisms a lot slower when it comes to comunication, or atleast slower than one could hope for. But I think Eric was considering taking a look at that aswell as the focus eye... (Personaly I think switching the .focuseye would make eye systems less interesting, but for .tienum it would allow some more interesting bots.)

I think the only topic I haven't seen discussed is the tie angles changing with new ties...

Other than that I think ties are faily manageable, but kind of hard to figure out though...
There should probably be a new guide for ties, or maybe Eric could post the code for the newest version of Seasnake, that could help shine some light on a few things

But with the current setup I find it hard to build a realy strong MB using more than 2 ties per cell... or MB tie feeders for that matter. (Tie fighters was originaly a MB, but every time it killed something the tie angles got all messed up, and aiming and reproduction was often a problem, so in the end I just produced 2 offspring for each attack...)

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2008, 01:25:42 PM »
Well yes multibots are extremely difficult and I can not even make normal bots efficient enough to compete with the other bots, just have no talent for that and there were quite some failed MB projects from me however I must say that the bot I have attached before was not intented to have a defined shape thats what beeing an amoebais about however I can show you atleast one  specific defined MB shape I made , actually my test bot was supposed to be a study of a possible movement systems of this form.

Well and regarding the focuseye story, its what my beholder system builds on, 360 degree vision that remembers  and ignores friendly  targets under the condition they do not move to fast, well atleast its supposed to but like I said in  http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=2981 for some reason eye9 disbehaves in this regard and this system is really important for my current bot designs   (swarming behavior and MB can profit from ignoring friends or knowing where are friends if you need to look for information from them)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:32:49 PM by Welwordion »

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »
Quote from: Welwordion
Regarding the amoeba: Some tie experiments that work with  a cyclus of contradiction and extension where as the start(generation 1) fixes when contradicting and the end(generation x) fixes when extending.
http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?...ost&id=1051
http://www.darwinbots.com/Forum/index.php?...ost&id=1052

Oh and although it did not work out I will attach my try on building the amoeba, my thought was that an bot spotting food would send an impulse outward, the  strength(number) of the impulse would be increased with each "ring" around the starter bot these rings would then substitue for the generations used in the above bots.
Do you mean contracting, or is it a paradox-bot?  
- Carl Sagan

Offline Welwordion

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 01:48:22 AM »
XD ups vocabulary mistake and quite a funny one as you pointed out hehehe  
(Now I try to imagine what a paradox bot could ? Negating the existence of the enemy by involving it in a paradox? Existing while beeing dead at the same time? Going in two direction at the same time?  although the last two rather soind like a quantum bot)

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
It would probably shoot an info shot into the .amidead sysvar.  The enemy bot would then read it and be caught up in a paradox and explode.

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 11:41:54 PM »
While an an unserious note, is this coincidence?
To be king, Numsgil did in Blog, who did in Unkful, who did in Viddle, who did in Loll, who did in Alrok. . . .
- Carl Sagan

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »
Nope, that's where the name came from   I've been going by the s/n Numsgil since middle school, when I needed an AOL account without numbers at the end.  The funny thing is that if Numsgil had been taken, I would have gone with blog

Offline Peter

• Bot God
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2008, 03:28:48 PM »
Quote from: bacillus
While an an unserious note, is this coincidence?
To be king, Numsgil did in Blog, who did in Unkful, who did in Viddle, who did in Loll, who did in Alrok. . . .
Can someone tell me where this comes from?
Oh my god, who the hell cares.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
The amazing Antbot
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2008, 05:05:59 PM »