Author Topic: Work List  (Read 6158 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Work List
« on: April 28, 2008, 01:51:11 PM »
Here is the prioritized list of things I plan to work on in the next few monhts.   This topic will be updated as work proceeds.

Please feel free to reply to this topic if you don't see your favorite feature request or want to change the order of work.

Work list in priority order:

1) Crashing Bugs
2) Sim File round trip bugs
3) Bugs impacting major fuinctionality
4) League bugs
5) Other bugs

The above always take priority over new functionality.

6) Fix internet mode connectivity issues
7) Amplification mutations
8) Find Best bot within species
9) Perf improvements - bucket logic for shape viewing, shape collision, field edge collision
10) Rationalize shot range / power sysvars
11) Better shape creation / manipulation UI
12) Make viewing bots precise as it is for shapes
13) Custom Intenet Modes - Multibot, zerobot, etc.
14) Phylogeny view - gives tree of descent for pat 100 generations
15) Hearing / Sound - requested feature
16) Average Body graph
17) Enhanced Shape functionality: pits of death, different environmental conditions, etc.  Egrid stuff essentially
18) Custom field dimensions
19) Exploding shots
20) Port to VB 2008
21) Make shots visible  
22) Make ties visible
23) Make field edge visible
24) Ties iteract with fluid resistance and friction, allowing for tie drag and swimming
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:17:14 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Work List
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
Looks great.

I've got one low priority feature request: Average body graph.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Work List
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 02:20:17 PM »
Quote from: Peksa
I've got one low priority feature request: Average body graph.
Okay, it's on the list.

People who have entirely new feature requests, please post those as separate topics in the Suggestions forum.  I will add them to the list.

I have not done an exhaustive walk through of previously posted suggestions.  I will likely do that soon, but if you don't see your previously posted suggestion on the list within a few days, feel free to tickle this topic.

Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Work List
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:48:04 AM »
Quote from: EricL
20) Port to VB 2008

This would be extremely cool, but I'm not sure if you're just feeling really adventurous or if you're severely underestimating the amount of work involved in this.  This is at least an order of magnitude more involved than anything else on your list.  And if you really are ready to make the plunge, I would strongly recommend a staged transfer, where you unit test functions on both sides of the port to make sure nothing breaks.

24) Ties iteract with fluid resistance and friction, allowing for tie drag and swimming

Same with this, depending on how involved you want to get.  The cheapest and easiest way would be simply to use the average velocity of the tie and apply a drag force linearly dependant on that.  I think that's basically what Carlo had set up at some point.  Unforunately it entirely disregards something like two tied bots rotating about their center, so that their average velocity is 0.  But maybe that's a trivial enough case that you don't need to worry about it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:49:59 AM by Numsgil »

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Work List
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 02:13:27 AM »
That is why they are numbers 20 and 24 respectivly.

The port won't be that hard.  I've done it before.  Same language bascially, same data structures.  The way to port code is to freeze it and get it running on the new platform by changing as little as possible - no changes to data structures, no new features, no new threads, take advantage of no new platform capabilities, etc. until it is completely solid and stable on the new platform adn then and only then do you start changing things.  It's boring and tedious, but its the only way, one step at a time.   Ports that change platform/language and features/design/architecture at the same time always fail.
Many beers....

Offline spike43884

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Work List
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:25:32 AM »
1) Does enviromental conditions include my enviroments suggestion (which i've currently put as a poll)
2) Is this for DB2 work list, or DB3 work list
3) Even if when I exit DB2 I say I dont want to save (I never really use my lastexit sims) it still saves, and saves like 1% at a time if I select that I dont want to save
Autism can allow so much joy, and at the same time sadness to be seen. Our world is weird, and full of contradiction everywhere, yet somehow at moments seems to come together, and make near perfect sense.