Author Topic: Seasnake  (Read 12925 times)

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« on: April 21, 2008, 05:22:54 PM »
Primitive multibots snake through a field of veggies
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:41:17 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »
not very primative looking?
how many genes does that bot have?
anyway very cool cant stop wondering how long until its in the biestery
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline asterixx

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »
How is that being achieved? Could show the DNA?
"Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you.  Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure."

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »
The DNA is here.

It has a single gene, but many different functional blocks with their own conditional triggerring sections.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:42:47 PM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline fulizer

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:48:53 AM »
still cool never wont be...
at least util updates break it
ill have to use this to fine tune hunterbots
"If this is coffee bring me tea, If this is tea, bring me coffee"

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »
Seasnake 1.2 shoots it's entire genome as a virus, which turns other species into cells of the greater multibot.  Here a veggy has been co-opted and incorporated as a cell into the larger organism, providing veggy power to the multibot as well as acting as a integrated cell.
Many beers....

Offline Peksa

• Bot Destroyer
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 05:54:38 PM »
Quote from: EricL
Seasnake 1.2 shoots it's entire genome as a virus, which turns other species into cells of the greater multibot.  Here a veggy has been co-opted and incorporated as a cell into the larger organism, providing veggy power to the multibot as well as acting as a integrated cell.

Nice. It screws up graphs and leagues though. It could be possible to actual seasnake species to die out, but have the DNA survive and continue to evolve

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 06:06:25 PM »
Do two separate snake macro organisms ever combine in to a single snake?

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
Quote from: Peksa
Nice. It screws up graphs and leagues though. It could be possible to actual seasnake species to die out, but have the DNA survive and continue to evolve
Absolutely.  The dynamic is really interesting.  In IM, Seasnake is marked not to mutate and it uses .dnalen for conspec recognition.  But when it co-opts other species as cells, those can mutate.  A mutation changes changes the dna length and they start fighting against the original snakes with the full power of their (slightly modified) genome!  Once passive veggies become cells become compitiors and starve out the origninal strain.   In a prior version, the snakes were almost wiped out by their own renegade genome running in the shell of other species!  Now, version 1.2 kills itself if the DNA length changes to avoid this, but its still possible a mutation will disable the self destuct and once this happens, that mutate strain could spread and wipe out the original species as before.

There's a few lessons here I think:  

Evolution finds a way. It's often better to mutate so you can adapt then not to.

Arm's races are critical to preserving and enhancing complexity.  Competing against yourself (I.e. a genome very close to you but with slightly different conspec code) is the ultimate in selection pressure.  The compeitiors are so closely matched that any reduction in functionality due to deleterious mutations is heavily selected against.  Only benifical mutations survive.  

If you can't beat em, starve em.   There's lots of ways to compete.  Being the best killer is just one.  Taking away anothers food source is just as effective.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Quote from: Numsgil
Do two separate snake macro organisms ever combine in to a single snake?
Absolutely.  Each cell is bascially a stem cell.  It can do things on it's own like move and hunt and feed, but it also looks for conspeces.  Each has a random number.  Smaller numberred cells will hook onto the back of ones with larger numbers.  So when the head of one snake sees the tail of another and that number is higher, two snakes will merge.  Once a cell is part of a snake, it takes on a role depending upon it's position in the snake: head, tail, middle.  The role dictates what it can and can't when part of a snake.  Only the head navigates and initiates movement for example, the middle and tail only follow the leader, only tails reproduce, etc.  Children produced by a tail inherit a number one less than the parent and automatically attach to the end of the snake (unless soemthign disrupts this during those first few critical cycles after birth) becoming a new tail and growing the snake...  So, snakes grow both via the eqivalent of cell division (by the tail cell) and dynamic assembly of lone (potentially hijacked) cells or smaller snakes into larger ones.

This IMHO is the only robust way to build multibots I.e. as autonomous single celled entites which can self assemble and assume a role in a larger organism dynamically.  I think it sheds light on how multi cellularity emerged in nature I.e. via loose cooperation between single celled organisms which discoverred over time the advantages of specialization.
Many beers....

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
What if there are two snakes, each with 3 bots, and snake 1's IDs are:

15, 10, 5

and snake 2's IDs are:

13, 7, 3

Those two snakes can never merge, can they?  Either way, it's by a large measure the neatest MB (maybe even bot) I've ever seen

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »
What if there are two snakes, each with 3 bots, and snake 1's IDs are:

15, 10, 5

and snake 2's IDs are:

13, 7, 3

Those two snakes can never merge, can they?

When a cell becomes part of a snake, it sets an "external" number that is one less than the cell in front of it.  This external number governs the merge decision.  THe original internal random nubmer is still used for other things  like referencing ties, but the snakes above become for all intents:

15, 14, 13

13, 12, 11

In this case, they still won't ever merge, but at least the probabilty of merging is a lot higher.  That's largly by design.  I could have any head attach to any tail, but you then need logic not to attach to your own tail when and if you see it, which I have, but there's still a bug or two there.  Also, I wanted a number of snakes, not necessarily one super huge one although in practice, teleportation and edge respawning chops big snakes up into 50 cell ones...

Either way, it's by a large measure the neatest MB (maybe even bot) I've ever seen
Thanks!  It's been a hoot building it (future versions will be forthcoming) and I've found and fixed a ton of bugs in the simulator as a result.  
Many beers....

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
This reminds me of the snake in a game called Fl0w. I thought of emulating the lellyfish, just by having a large cell with lots of tiny bots pulsating around it, but it didn't work as well.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 06:04:06 AM »
Seasnake 1.2 shoots it's entire genome as a virus, which turns other species into cells of the greater multibot. Here a veggy has been co-opted and incorporated as a cell into the larger organism, providing veggy power to the multibot as well as acting as a integrated cell.

I saw this in action last night. I decided to start a new sim with costs set to 0 so I at least could get a glimpse of your fancy bots. The veggie detached itself and started hunting a little. Later when my population reached above 3200 where I had set costs to start increasing, the action was over.  
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline Blacksmith

• Bot Neophyte
    • View Profile
Seasnake
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 08:32:17 PM »
Quote from: Peksa

That is IF any thing could kill the snake bot, which I havenet found anything like that yet.