Author Topic: Rotation cost cheat. RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
Rotation cost cheat. RESOLVED (BY DESIGN)
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »
I just found a bot that is moving anticlockwise constantly whithout any costs. Maybe it's the *aimleft store gene. First I thought it was brownian motion, but then it should have moved more random.
The bot is a small one inside a stretched out colony in the upper part of the screen, a bit to the left. Version 2.43.1i
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:47:27 PM by EricL »
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
The bot is turning not because it is activly turning but becuase it has angular momentum, previously aquired, probably from tie torque.  Bots are not charged for passive rotation.  This appears to be by design.
Many beers....

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
More -> Brownian motion will add angular momentum.  Yours is turned up to the max with no friction to damp it.  Should not be surprising that some bots are spinning in your sim...
Many beers....

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »
Sorry for another false positive about movement costs.   It's just that I haven't seen this regular rotation pattern before. I should probably have some friction setting here. Just haven't thought about adding it. What would you recommend would be the most natural for settings of Z-axis, coefficient and kinetic, if you think about the background as the bottom of a pond?
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:19:41 PM »
No worries.  I'd rather have ten false positives than miss one real bug...

Personally, I like the spinning for this kind of sim.  Adds unpredictability and interactivity.  A bot that evolves shooting without aiming has a higher chance of hitting something for example.  Set your physics how you like of course, but from a pure evo perspective, I'm a big fan of more interactivity.
Many beers....