Author Topic: Whirlwind  (Read 4180 times)

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »
This bot has gone far from what it was originally designed to do. It forms a protective coating of algae, in which it spirals around. When a bot becomes huge (Last gene), it breaks the shell and swarms out. Not a very good bot, but fun to watch.

'Whirlwind
'Circles around 5000,3000
'Hypnotises other bots with its virus
'Infected bots spin around 5000,3000 as well, but lock themselves
'down 1000 units from the centre, forming an algal shell
'shoot and tie-feeds
'virus replaces agressive shots with passive shots

'Conspec
cond
 *.out5 666 !=
start
 666 .out5 store
stop

'Virus
cond
 *.out5 666 !=
start
 *.shoot sgn abs -2 mult .shoot store
 *.thisgene .mkvirus store
 50 .vshoot store
 5000 3000 angle .setaim store
 .up inc
 1000 5000 *.xpos sub 3000 *.ypos sub pyth sub sgn floor .fixpos mult

inc
stop

'Updating
start
 10 *.vel sub .up store
 *.thisgene -- .mkvirus store
 50 .vshoot *.vtimer -- sgn abs -- abs mult store
 *.nrg 3 div *.body sub dup .strbody store - .fdbody store
 99 .sharenrg store
 1 .sharewaste store
 99 .shareshell store
 99 .shareslime store
 5000 3000 angle *.vel add .setaim store
stop

'Do not tie to non-veggies
cond
 *.trefshoot 0 !=
start
 *.tiepres .deltie store
stop

'Feeding
cond
 *.eye5 40 >
 *.in5 *.out5 !=
start
 64 .shootval store
 -6 .shoot store
 .tie inc
stop

'Reproduction
cond
 *.nrg 5000 >
start
 50 .repro store
stop

cond
 *.nrg 30000 >
start
 -180 .dx store
stop
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:34:58 AM »
Ha ha very cool, gonna have to try this when I get home.
Screenshots just don't show enough IMO, wanted to make a nice screen of Locust swarming Multiply4 but you would barely be able to tell the big bot in the center is a multiply on the screenshot... the real fun comes from watching multiply slip away only to get hunted by the swarm and surounded again, the screenshots just don't show all the fun... like with this one, you need to imagine what's going on... can't wait to see it in action

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »
Maybe we could build some sort of screen capture movie generator in to DB, to take small clips of events and post them on the forum.  DB is based in vector graphics, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to create something like a flash movie or something...

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »
That would be sweet, using fraps and such software just isn't well suited to record long sims with varying framerate...
If it was part of DB the framerate could be adjusted according to frames per 100 cycles so the speed of the vid would match.
Appart from taking up a lot less space and being easyer to set up... could just be a menu just like the other record options.
It would be nice to be able to show off a bots behavior with all the right settings in a small file, so people don't need to load your bot and another bot in a match every time.
Ofcourse it would mostly be neat to record sims, or combats between large bots (Like guardian) or bots in great numbers... generaly would be cool to record a slow sim and view it with normal or accelerated speed.

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
I'll look in to the logistics of it, probably write up a suggestions thread if I find anything.

Offline Commander Keen

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
Or you could just save the starting settings and the random seed, and provided the two DB versions were equal they could calculate an exact replica of the sim...

Offline Numsgil

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:12:57 PM »
But that still requires you to share your settings file, have the other guy, load up DB, load up your settings, and run the program.  I'm thinking more something that would let us upload videos to the forum and have them play embedded in the post.

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 04:38:06 AM »
Heh if I have a sim of 10000000 cycles that I wan't to show it would be nice if you could capture the screen every 100 cycles so I could view it with accelerated speed and see why my sim whiped, or what generaly happened.
Also if I run guardian against anything, several people won't even be able to see it... not till they buy a new computer...
Also the larger SS bots are very slow, end generaly most of the stuff you want to show poeple very often involve a larger sim with a lot of bots....
So instead of having people load all the settings and bots, start a sim, let it run for 2 weeks while recording with fraps, then increase the speed of their recording and then view what you where talking about.... poeple would only need to load one file and run it to see what you want them to see.
If you check out the DB art forum you'll notice that most of the sims people have recorded in there are not something you can just load up and run for yourself... not unless you're VERY patient

Offline bacillus

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
Whirlwind
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »
I made an interesting map setting for this bot...
Two species have a tug of war over one veggie - repop treshold 0, veggies per repop event 1, max veggies 1, nrg per cycle per veggie 20000. This emulates a "capture the flag" arena.
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
- Carl Sagan