Author Topic: missing DLL RESOLVED (POSTPONED)  (Read 4675 times)

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
missing DLL RESOLVED (POSTPONED)
« on: April 20, 2008, 07:28:40 AM »
I get a crash when I try to adjust coustom costs, been having this problem for a while.
It mentions a missing dll so I'm guessing maybe I just managed to screw sometihng up...
So maybe I just need to reinstall DB, but figured I'd mention it in case it's a general problem.
Took a screenshot of the error.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:43:31 AM by EricL »

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:05:56 AM »
It's that file you need to be able to run DB. If that file is missing it should crash whenever you try to start DB, not just for changing something in the gui. You could search for the file and see if you still have it in the system directory, then try to re-register it. Maybe remove it first and use a register cleaner like 'ccleaner', if it's your registery that has been messed up.
The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
It's one of several system DLLs DB needs.  This one is only needed by the costs dialog.  I've not investigated why exactly.   Probably some trivial dialog formatting thing I'll fix someday...

You must have re-installed windows or installed a game or somethign that messed up your registry registration of this DLL.  The VB runtime is trying to load this DLL and not finding a registerred path for it.  

Re-running the 2.1 setup will fix it as may typing:

regedt32 msftdfmt.dll

at a command line.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 10:53:23 AM by EricL »
Many beers....

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:42 AM »
Tryed both, didn't work though, just going to reinstall completely.
Seems I had the problem both on my PC and laptop, but it works at work, so I guess I managed to break something on both those computers.
Not sure how it happened, but I think I need to clean out completely to get it back working. Also can't find the dll

Offline Testlund

• Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:41:42 AM »
Here:  

The internet is corrupt and controlled by criminally minded people.

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
I don't plan to do anything about this until I dive into the new installer.
Many beers....

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »
Heh tryed uninstalling and installing again, still didn't work
But it works on my laptop and at work, so I have no clue what happened.
I'll try adding the dll.
But loading a sim with coustom costs still works, so currently I'm just changing the settings with the laptop.
I'm hoping the dll will work, but it doesn't seem to be a general problem, don't know how I managed to screw it up

Offline EricL

• Administrator
  • Bot God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »
A classic problem is unistallers.  Companies spend as little as possible on unistallers.  It's just not their focus.  So, a common issue is for an app's uninstaller to uninstall DLL's like this that they perhaps optionally installed but other programs could still need and be using.  They just don't test the scenerios and they could have a bug in the DLL refcount or similar.   Windows sucks here in providing apps decent package support to make this easier.  Damn 1980's technology....  

Or, it's quite possible the DB installer doesn't increment the refcount on the DLL in the registry or similar and that last thing you uninstalled - some totally unrelated app - thought no one else was using this and nuked it....
Many beers....

Offline goffrie

• Bot Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 04:56:46 PM »
I got this bug too, on a fresh install of Windows (in VirtualBox, I run Linux as the host). It isn't included in Windows and the installer doesn't install it. Downloading it from the Internet and putting it in \WINDOWS\system32 fixed it.
(I may or may not have needed to run 'regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll', I don't remember. Anyways, it definitely doesn't involve 'regedt32'.)

Offline Moonfisher

• Bot Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 12:12:04 PM »
Just wanted to say I tryed goffrie's instructions and it worked.
Had to run the command aswell.